View Full Version : Is Microsoft being honest in its Windows Mobile Platform comparisons?

Phillip Dyson
12-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Every now and then I like to actually go to the Microsoft Windows Mobile site just to see what might be going on.

I came across a page where they compare their 4 WM flavors.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/compare.mspx

Is it just me? Or is M$ not being honest when it comes to the Portable Media Center.
On multiple items it says that only the Media Center can do them, but we know Pocket PC can too. And anyway they seem to be capabilities of the hardware and not the platform.

For example:
"Carry large collections of songs and music with you"
"Store large collections of photos"

Jason Dunn
12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Show me a Pocket PC with a 20 GB hard drive and then we'll talk. ;-)

JvanEkris
12-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Well,

I have around 6Gb and it is sufficient for a couple of hours of music.

I think this ends with a discussion of what the definition of large is and what isn't. And i do have to agree with the first poster that storing a collection of 3000 WMA's is considered considerable room for most people, so i think that Microsoft is polarising the capablities a bit too much.....

Jaap

Sven Johannsen
12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Depends entirely on how you define 'large collection" and 'hours of' video and TV shows.

Phillip Dyson
12-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Though the hardware may lend it self to allow M$ to mention questionable limitations on one platform and another,

They seem to be telling people that the limitations are in the platform. Because we all know that you can listen to your favorite music on a pocket pc. We all know that you share photos. We all know you can take DVDs with you.

Matter of fact, if you have a PPC with USB host you can take even more with you (potentially).

Check out this 100GB drive...
http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=1328
Its only for backup now. But perhaps it just needs formatting. Or driver.

Kowalski
12-02-2004, 07:37 PM
this is just called "marketing", they tell you what they beliave will be best for them.
media center is a new device so they will work on this device

Jason Dunn
12-02-2004, 08:07 PM
this is just called "marketing", they tell you what they beliave will be best for them.

Exactly! Looking for 100% intellectual honesty from marketing is, well, a bit silly.

Still, if you've ever used a Portable Media Center you'll understand that it's a completely different type of device than a Pocket PC and the PMC isn't meant to complete with the Pocket PC.