View Full Version : Icons in Start Menu not displaying properly on H4155

dnacpil
12-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Certain icons in the Start Menu are not displaying properly on my h4155 after a soft reset. As matter of fact, the icons look like just a white square box and also I notice only the icons from applications that are installed in T2T disk and iPAQ File Store are doing this. I actually have to go to Start\Settings\Menus and go back out again just for these icons to display correctly (weird).

Does anyone know if this is just a registry error or some sort of a "the OS not caching the icons properly" after a soft reset. Please help.

forestir
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I've found that this happens with software installed on an SD card versus on the iPaq's main memory. I guess the SD card is slower to respond and so the icon image isn't available to draw on the menu.

Sven Johannsen
12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
I think you may be getting ready to do a hard reset and reload. Yes that is typically because the OS tries to get the icons before the memory areas are ready. Also happens if they point to apps on a storage card that is missing. The reason for my pessimism is because I also have my apps installed to a T2T disk in my 4155 and never have this issue, unless something is wrong. I leave the File-Store alone as I don't think there is enough there to worry about, and I know that it is bad for it to overfill.

I had a serious bout of messed up system this week. Things weren't running right, icons were disappering, restores didn't help. The system worked sort of OK until it was shut off, and wouldn't turn on again, until I hard reset it, again. Finally left the battery out overnight so it by golly reset. That seems to have taken care of it. Ran it pure stock for a couple of hours, then reloaded T2T and ran it for a while and left it overnight. Seems OK, so I'll reload apps tonight.

Moral is, they can get screwed up so that a plain soft or hard reset doesn't fix it. It took leaving it bettery-less overnight, to straighten it out.