View Full Version : How do you select individual episodes on a DVD using DVD-to-PocketPC?

rocky_raher
11-30-2004, 10:35 PM
I bought Makayama's DVD-to-PocketPC program some time ago. I have a number of DVD sets of TV series, in which there are usually 4 episodes on a single DVD. It took me a while to figure out how to convert the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th episode of a DVD. I recall that there was some subtle trick to it, something non-obvious. I should have written it down. Anyway, several months ago I did convert all episodes on a DVD separately.

I haven't used DVD-to-PocketPC for a while. Now I want to convert some more TV episodes, and I absolutely cannot remember how to select a specific episode. No matter what I do, what I get is the first episode on the disc.

I also seem to recall reading a FAQ on makayama.com, a long time ago. Now I cannot find it.

How do I select a specific episode of a multi-episode DVD?

piperpilot
12-01-2004, 01:34 PM
This is something I would like to know as well.

ziggurat29
12-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Well, I don't use that application, but if it helps to jar your memory, different 'episodes' are stored on a dvd in a thing called a 'program chain'. For movies there is (usually) one program chain (the movie). On TV series there is typically one per episode, with chapter subdivisions therein.

rocky_raher
12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
I have rediscovered the technique for converting individual episodes! Here's the procedure. I have used this on the DVD's of the TV series "Lost in Space," and other TV series DVD's should be similar.

1. Start DVD-to-PPC.
2. Click "Open."
3. On the "Select Movie" screen, there are 4 titles listed, with lengths of 00:00:01, 00:51:31, 00:00:07, and 00:00:16. Select the second. [I suspect the first is the menu, and the third and fourth are trailers.]
4. Click "OK."
5. From the menu bar, select "Options -> Reset All."
6. On the first messagebox, click "OK."
7. On the "Extraction Settings" messagebox, click "OK."
8. On the messagebox stating, "Now choose 'Default' and 'OK' again in the next window...", click OK.
9. On the "Extra Features" messagebox, there is a section titled, "Special DVD Features," with a drop-down list labled "Multiple Episodes." This is where you specify which of the four episodes on the DVD you want. Select from 00 to 03.
10. Click OK.
11. On the messagebox stating, "All settings are back to normal. Please press 'Action' to start," click OK.
12. Click "Action" to begin conversion.

Note to the Makayama people: Your software is great!! Still, in a future release could you please make the above process a little simpler?