View Full Version : ipaq 5555 vs. Dell x50v vs. hp hx4700

robclif4d
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
I have an iPaq 5555 (no problems with it). I'm thinking about switching to an iPaq hx4700 or a Dell x50v. Any suggestions on either keeping my 5555 or whether to choose the Dell or iPaq?

Thanks,

Robert

Kati Compton
11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
How badly is gadget lust burning a hole in your pocket? ;)

I am trying to do an "every other generation" thing, so in your position, I would wait for the next wave of devices. But that's *me*, not you. I went from a Dell X5 to a Dell X50v.

VGA is QUITE nice, I must say. But not well supported at this point. What is it that you need/want to do that you can't do with your current device?

robclif4d
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
It's a lust thing due to the VGA option. My 5555 still does what I need it to and don't have a problem using it. I just like VGA.

Thanks,

Robert

Kati Compton
11-30-2004, 07:39 PM
It's a lust thing due to the VGA option. My 5555 still does what I need it to and don't have a problem using it. I just like VGA.

Thanks,

Robert
I'm afraid that makes it a question you have to answer for yourself. ;)

As for the 4700 vs the X50v, there are several main differences.

1. Screen size (4700 has a bigger one)
2. Device size (X50v is smaller)
3. Touchpad (4700 has one, X50v has d-pad)

I'm sure there are others. It also makes a difference if you want to be able to buy accessories in the store, or if you're okay online-only.

Lorenzo
11-30-2004, 08:06 PM
I asked the exact same question a few weeks ago. I have the 5555
and was thinking aboug going to the 4700 and well I did upgrade and
the screen is fantastic. I'm starting to learn the touch pad and on top
of that I sent it to pocketpctech's already for the memory upgrade.

Now, I've got 128!

I sold my 555x so all is well and good. Plus, I just ordered the 4700
case from vajacases, which they just released a few days ago.

Go ahead and upgrade...

Lorenzo

Deus
11-30-2004, 09:00 PM
I made the change from 5555 to the X50v. I do kinda miss the 128MB but I am in the process of selling my 5555 and that will give me the $$ to get the 128MB upgrade ! ;)

I figured that I would get the X50v and if I found myself using it more than the 5555 then I would keep it. I never used my 5555 after I picked up the X50v. The screen is what does it to ya. Like any PPC though it has its quirks. But even so it has me tranced!

upplepop
11-30-2004, 11:48 PM
A while ago I started a thread discussing my concerns about whether or not it was really worth upgrading my Axim X5 to the X50v,
I suggest you take a look at it. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33725) The gist of it is "does the new PPC really add that much functionality or drastically improve your experience?"

That being said, I couldn't resist all of the great deals (http://dealnews.com/search.html?search=x50v) Dell has been selling the X50's for, soI went ahead and purchased one.

I really like the VGA, but I don't think it's quite worth upgrading to, especially since, like Kati stated, a lot of software doesn't support it very well. I suggest you wait until WM2005 before buying a new PPC. It's probably not going to be a long wait and you won't have to worry about buying an upgrade; that is, if the OEM offers it :roll:

famousdavis
12-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I was all set to await WM2005-supported devices sometime next year, but when my iPAQ 1910 just processed database forms too slowly, and because Dell just released a VGA device at an affordable price, I figured I'd go ahead and take the plunge.

I'm glad I did. The VGA screen is really nice, but a lot of my text-based software doesn't support it, and the result is very fuzzy text. Adobe Reader is unreadable, period. PocketBible is blurry, as is Lextionary.

Still, having a new device has been fun and the extra processing power and memory has allowed me to use the device in new or better ways.

I would like to think that Dell might offer a WM2005 upgrade on the X50 series, but I certainly won't count on it. I can always dump the X50v I bought for about half what I paid for it and add half as much again to get a WM2005 device if I really, really need to. Even my 1910 can fetch nearly $100 on eBay still!

Finally, it may be a long wait yet for WM2005 to come out, and longer still for the devices to appear. Why wait another year? If you have the money in your budget, and you enjoy PPCs, go ahead and buy a VGA device! :)

robclif4d
12-01-2004, 04:17 AM
Lorenzo...what did you sell your 5555 for? Just getting an idea.

Thanks,

Robert