View Full Version : Mysterious folders

JVL
11-30-2004, 06:47 PM
I have an Ipaq 2215.
Why is it, when I create a folder in my file explorer and put someting in it,
the unit also creates a folder with the same name in my Notes file and it remains empty.
When I try to delete the folder in the notes file, I get a message that I cannot delete a folder without emptying out first.
But there is nothing showing as being in it?

Zidane
11-30-2004, 08:01 PM
If the directory you are creating is under the My Documents directory, then it will get listed in any program like Notes, Word, Excel, etc. The reason that they show as empty in those programs is that they are filtering out any file that doesn't belong to that program.

For example, Notes will only show the files that it can read, Word will only show the files that it can read and so on. In order to truly delete the directory, you will need to empty it out using File Explorer.

If you don't want the directory to show up in these programs, don't create it under the My Documents directory.

JVL
12-01-2004, 01:50 PM
I dont want to be argumentative but, if I create a folder on my PC, it does not automatically create a folder with nothing in it somewhere else.
Your explanation doesnt make sense to me.

Zidane
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
You're not being argumentative. Basically, Notes, Word, Excel... display the folders one level deep in the My Documents directory. So, if you create a folder in the My Documents directory using File Explorer, it is going to be visible in those programs. That's just the way it works.

The folder most likely appears empty in Notes because you have no Notes files in it.