View Full Version : GPS + Mapopolis (and 2215) Question...

lkawamot
11-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to find a "good" GPS/Map combination to buy for my HP2215 and would like some input from those of you that are familiar with the pro's and con's of the various choices out there. I've read through the forums here as well as the forums at GPSPassion, but still am not sure what to get.

In the meantime, I've borrowed a friend's Pharos iGPS-SD (a tiny little GPS receiver that plugs into the SDIO slot). I've also downloaded Mapopolis and a demo map of my area. I think I've got the hang of using the GPS receiver and the software -- I'm thinking that I'd like to keep Mapopolis, but I don't like the SD format for the GPS.

I'd like to purchase a BT GPS receiver so that I can leave it in my car or backpack, etc. As well as be able to connect to it with whatever other hardware I want...

One thing I noticed that I don't like about the my current set-up is that the update on my location on the map seems to lag my actual location by about 1 second. My guess is that it's based on how often the Pharos sends updates to my 2215 and Mapopolis. Is this a common problem with GPS receivers? Or is it a problem with Mapopolis? Or my 2215?

I've read some problems about BT connections dropping in some set-ups for 221x and BT GPS's... is that still a common problem? Is it related to certain BT GPS receivers?

From what I've read, I think I like the RoyalTek BlueGPS Mini (RBT-1000 XT). It's got a pretty good battery life and seems to have excellent sensitivity.

I was originally hoping to find a standalone handheld GPS that also has BT so that I might be able to use the GPS by itself as well, but the only one I found was the Fortuna GPSmart (I think?). It had a terrible batterylife (4hrs?) and it's kind of dated (2002 I think?).

Anyone have the set-up I'm thinkig about doing? Any experiences with the RoyalTek? Any suggestions?