View Full Version : Advice on memory upgrade for Ipaq 4150

shawnc
11-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, as much as I was looking forward to dropping another $500 or so on a new PPC, it just doesn't appear as though it's going to happen. VGA, SD-only, 4150 form-factor simply doesn't appear to be on anyone's radar. As such, I'm thinking of upgrading the memory on my 4150 and was looking for advice from the community as to whether you think it makes sense.

More memory would be nice because it would allow me to move some of my app's from my SD card onto my device. I'm also no longer concerned with invalidating my warranty since my device is two years old. My concern is with rather it makes financial sense to invest in my 4150 since I'm already one OS behind the latest and it looks as though there will be another release in 2005. If that happens, wil I still be able to purchase software for the 4150? I also have a concern as to whether this sort of upgrade will require a hard-reset. I hate the thought of attempting a back-up and restore.

I can't remember who does the upgrades (PPC Techs? or something like that, I think) but I get the impression that they are very reliable and my PPC will only be gone for a few days. Is that right?

OK, I've rambled enough. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jacob
11-30-2004, 05:49 PM
I've considered doing that too.

I have no plan on upgrading my 4155 any time soon to a new device.

It is PocketPCTechs that do the upgrade. The upgrade gives you a new storage area that I believe is comparable to being a seperate iPAQ File Store - except you need to have their driver installed in order to access it.

I read on their help documentation online though that it still can't be used for certain items - like today screen items since it has to load the driver when you turn on the device.

Their FAQ for HP devices (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ppc_faq.asp#HP) is quite helpful on the ramifications of the upgrade.

bigkingfun
11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
I was debating the same thing recently and I ended up buying a Dell x50v instead. As nice as it would be to have 128MB in the 4150, I didn't feel it was worth putting the $159 ($129 right now I think) into that unit. By the time I was going to replace it, I wouldn't be able to recover that money. If you really need the extra RAM and don't expect to recover the cost when you upgrade down the road, it's probably worth it.

I've pretty much resigned myself to replacing my PPC every 12-18 months as new models come out. I find that by the time I replace it, the one I'm replacing still holds enough value that I can get a reasonable price for it on eBay. I usually have some accessories and things that I can include so, up to this point at least, every time I sell the kit on eBay, it pretty much pays for the new unit. I just have to buy a few new accessories each time. Overall, I don't mind spending $100 or so every 12 to 18 months to change my accessories. That's pretty much what I would spend on the RAM upgrade anyway.

shawnc
11-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Jacob - thanx for the link but for some reason the site appears to have a FAQ for all devices EXCEPT HP.

bigkingfun - your logic makes good sense and is definitely something I will consider in the future. The only problem as it relates to this situation is that I have the same problem as Jacob, I simply can't find a device that I like better than my 4150. As I've said before, I think the manufacturers are making a big mistake by increasing the size of these devices. I assumed when the new VGA machines would be released that I would be able to pick something up with similar form-factor to my 4150. If I was able to do that, I would use your strategy in a heart-beat.

Sven Johannsen
11-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I have the PPCT upgrade in my 4150 and have loved it. It is more like a 64M file-store than anything else. There are things that won't run out of it, such as SPB Pocket Plus, Calligrapher, things that really are OS extensions. I haven't had any regular software give me a problem. I have installed everything to the "RAM Disk", which leaves my SD cards for purely data. It also means I can pull the SD and put in an SD camera, without losing programs loaded on the SD card. Yes there is still room on my Ram Disk to store the shots.

Yes the upgrade requires a hard reset. You didn't think they were going to open up the 4150 and solder a new memory module in there with the battery engaged did you? But you don't want to dio a backup and restore anyway, as you will have a new memory architecture to take advantage of. Just back up your data, by syncing, and copying to you desktop. When the 4150 is returned, re-load the apps to your new storage location. Hard to believe you've had your PPC for two years and aren't an expert on rebuilding it from scratch ;)

I do wonder if it is worth $150 for a two year old device, but it should extend it's life tremendously. I don't think you are missing much not having WM2003SE, but the next iteration may be a significant improvement. Putting that $150 into the 4150 or putting it away for a new device in 6mos to a year, is a tough call. Glad it's your call.

shawnc
11-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Yes the upgrade requires a hard reset. You didn't think they were going to open up the 4150 and solder a new memory module in there with the battery engaged did you?

Sven - uh, no......I mean yes.......I mean no. I don't know what the heck I thought they were going to do. But you make it sound so obvious that I should have figured :oops: .

But you don't want to dio a backup and restore anyway, as you will have a new memory architecture to take advantage of. Just back up your data, by syncing, and copying to you desktop. When the 4150 is returned, re-load the apps to your new storage location.

Again, you make it sound so simple. But this does remove the fear of performing a hard-reset. So that only leaves the other issue(s).

Hard to believe you've had your PPC for two years and aren't an expert on rebuilding it from scratch ;).

Trust me, just dumb luck. That and the fact that I am definitely not a power-user.

I do wonder if it is worth $150 for a two year old device, but it should extend it's life tremendously. I don't think you are missing much not having WM2003SE, but the next iteration may be a significant improvement. Putting that $150 into the 4150 or putting it away for a new device in 6mos to a year, is a tough call. Glad it's your call.

You've summed-up my biggest conundrum. I agree that WM2003SE doesn't appear to be that big a deal (though I would like MP10). I have a hunch that MS will be forced to come out with something much more dramatic with the next upgrade, which is why I don't know if the buck-fifty is a smart expenditure right now.

Thanx for the post. This is really helpful.

Jacob
11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Jacob - thanx for the link but for some reason the site appears to have a FAQ for all devices EXCEPT HP.

Sorry about that - the FAQ for the T2TDISK that is visible from that link should answer a lot of your questions though.

The primary reason I haven't gone for it is that I don't have too many things in main memory and my storage card hasn't exactly run out of room.

You might want to do a list of pros and cons ;) Sometimes just writing it out helps you separate the new toy/upgrade lust from the more practical considerations.

Are you running out of space? If your storage card is running out of space it could be better and cheaper just to buy a new and bigger storage card.

Pat Logsdon
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Don't forget that subscribers get 10% off of all PocketPCTechs upgrades. :way to go:
Check out the Discounts page for details.

shawnc
11-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Jacob, no problem. You're right in that the T2TDISK does address most of my concerns.

Are you running out of space? If your storage card is running out of space it could be better and cheaper just to buy a new and bigger storage card.

I am running out of space and will likely opt for a 2G SD card instead (though the book isn't closed just yet). But I don't think the 2G cards are available yet. I do have some space left on the 1G so I'll probably just wait. I figured that with the SD card, I didn't have to worry about that becoming outdated/obsolete. Then I read Jason's recent front-page post about mini SD and ........ARGH :evil: !

Pat - I didn't think about the Subscriber discount. Thanx for the tip.

Sven Johannsen
11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Pat - I didn't think about the Subscriber discount. Thanx for the tip.

Just so you are not surprised. The 4150 upgrade, a $159 value, is on sale for $129. More than the 10% discount, and they won't let you stack. Didn't me anyway.