View Full Version : Camera to Pocket PC

BarePaw
11-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Is there a way to connect a digital camera to the port on the bottom of an iPaq? The iPaq has no USB port, and the Camera has no wireless capabilites like IR or Bluetooth. Is there an adaptor that one could purchase that would allow a USB chord to be plugged into the bottom of an iPaq? (or, failing that, a USB to Bluetooth or IR adaptor? The female end of the adaptor would have to be the USB end).

sebringal
11-29-2004, 11:19 PM
I get around this by removing the SD card from my camera, inserting it into my PPC, and then moving or copying the pictures.

Darius Wey
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I get around this by removing the SD card from my camera, inserting it into my PPC, and then moving or copying the pictures.

Yeah - You'd save battery power on the camera too... not to mention the enormous hassle of finding a compatible USB solution.

BarePaw
11-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, the camera uses a compact flash card that isn't compatible with the SD slot on the PPC. Maybe that's what I should be looking for. I've seen compact flash adaptors for other uses. Has anyone heard of one that fits an SD slot?

Sven Johannsen
11-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Actually you want the other adapter. Panasonic and Minolta both make a CF card format SD reader that completely encloses the SD. That way you can use SD media in your camera. Or maybe that's what you meant.

The adapter to read CF cards in your iPaq doesn't exist.

Both the camera and iPaq are USB client devices and will not talk to each other directly. There is a CF USB host card, but that doesn't help you on your iPaq.

sebringal
11-30-2004, 10:31 PM
I guess another workaround would be to use a multi-format card reader on a desktop PC to transfer images from one card to the other. Not a super slick solution, but pretty straightforward.

I'm fortunate to not have this problem, since my Axim X5 takes both cards. When I bought my digital camera, I could have gotten one that stored photos on either type of media. My choice of SD was made mainly because I had a spare SD card lying around at the time.