View Full Version : Optimum encoder profiles for WM2003SE!

dhpss
11-28-2004, 04:02 PM
As Microsoft releases WM2003SE, which is a "hybrid" OS allowing to run legacy QVGA programs in "Double Pixelation"mode (AKA SE_VGA or Not true VGA)) on VGA capable hardware such my new Axim X50v.

As I can see, most encoders don't offer profile for SE_VGA. If I select PocketPC full screen profile, which is designed for QVGA, the file size is reasonabe but it does not take advantage of VGA capability. If I select true VGA 640 x 480 the file size is very very large...

The encoder tools I mentioned are below:

1-MS Photo Story 3, for my slide shows (jpg to wmv)
2-MS Movie Maker 2 for my WMV (dv captured,mpg or avi to wmv)
3-PocketDivxEncoder for my Divx file (encoded from mpg to avi-divx)

Since I moved to the X50v from iPaq 4150. I have to re-encode pretty much all my media files...Any ideas?

Darius Wey
11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Once you make the jump to a VGA device, you will also need to have a 640x480-encoded video for it to look pleasing to the eye. And naturallly, a step-up in the resolution also means a step-up in the file size.

If you want to create optimum settings while keeping file size to a respectable limit, this really requires a bit of trial-and-error work. Unless you encode at a shockingly low bitrate, you will not be able to encode a 640x480 video, yet keep the same file size of the 320x240 videos. Have a bit of a tweak with the settings, and insert keyframes only when necessary, encode audio at a bitrate which you're happy with, encode video at a bitrate which makes the compromise between quality and file size, etc.

Everyone's definition of the "optimum" settings defers among each person, so you'll need to try it out for yourself to find out what works best. ;)