View Full Version : Trend Micro Mobile Security 1.1 Beta Program

Darius Wey
11-26-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.trendbeta.com/index.php?get=37' target='_blank'>http://www.trendbeta.com/index.php?get=37</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Trend Micro™ Mobile Security provides a focused anti-virus and SMS spam detection solution for Mobile phones and PDA devices. Service providers, Enterprises with mission critical mobile infrastructures as well as End-users requiring a security solution for portable devices may deploy the solution. The integrated solution provides automatic, real-time scanning to protect wireless devices against malicious code and viruses on the Web or hidden inside files."</i><br /><br />Trend Micro have opened their doors for people to be a part of the beta program for the new Mobile Security 1.1 software package. It supports the Windows Mobile 2003 OS for both Pocket PCs and Smartphones. Some of its features include comprehensive virus protection and SMS real-time anti-spam. The beta program commences on December 4, 2004, and ends on December 17, 2004. If you would like to be a part of the beta program, click <a href="http://www.trendbeta.com/index.php?get=37">here</a>.

foebea
11-26-2004, 05:16 PM
heh.. 2 week beta test?

I can see that, after two weeks, while the program hasnt caught anything due to the lack of sufficient mobility of the virii, it hasnt crashed either. does that mean it works?

Or do they ship thiw with the few known virii so you can test it yourself.

I think they should market this to people who download illegal copies of software, and then trend could flood the illegal channels with virus ridden software, so people would feel they are getting thier moneys worth . . . but then they would probably just steal the virus scanner too.
:roll:

However i do like the idea of realtime anti spam - if that is small footprint and is compatible with the default mail software in CE, they should sell it seperately. I would buy that.

:edit: - scratch that. I see the antispam is only for SMS messages. I do not see this program as useful at this time. The only SMS spam i get is... well.. i dont get any. and no virii either. I wish trend luck with this, and if anyone can point out why this product is needed I would really enjoy reading it. g'nite - ::goes back to sleep::

Jason Dunn
11-26-2004, 05:46 PM
As far as the SMS is concerned, this is smoke and mirrors - SMS spam blocking has to occur on the NETWORK side. On the client side, all it can do is hide it from the user, but you're still getting the SMS, still paying for it... :roll:

Darius Wey
11-27-2004, 04:39 AM
You have to pay to receive SMS? 8O

Jason Dunn
11-27-2004, 08:07 AM
You have to pay to receive SMS? 8O

In Canada, most packages have "x" SMS messages with the package, then you pay "x" cents per SMS beyond that.

Darius Wey
11-28-2004, 08:22 AM
In Canada, most packages have "x" SMS messages with the package, then you pay "x" cents per SMS beyond that.

Yep. That's definitely something I've never heard of before. :D

It's free to receive any SMS messages here in Australia, but it does cost money to send them (unless there's a set number of free messages with the mobile plan, which you will then have to pay after you've used up the free credit).