View Full Version : SD Card is "Write Protected". P-L-E-A-S-E H-E-L-P!!!

shawnc
11-25-2004, 05:16 PM
I have no idea how this happened, but I can't perform ANY actions on my SD card. The common error message I get is that it is write-protected. Heres the message I get when I insert the disk into my laptop:

The disk can not be written to because it is write-protected. Please remove the write-protection from the volume in drive Device\Harddisk1\DR9

I've tried to unprotect the disk with no luck. ANY suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I can play/access any files currently contained on the card, but I can delete/add any new files/programs.

Thanx again,

Duncan
11-25-2004, 05:40 PM
On the left side of the SD card is a little 'switch'. Sounds like you have moved it and thus write protected your card. Move the switch and try your card again.

shawnc
11-25-2004, 05:48 PM
On the left side of the SD card is a little 'switch'. Sounds like you have moved it and thus write protected your card. Move the switch and try your card again.

Yeah, I knew that. I was just testin you guys :wink: ! Thanx a bunch Duncan. I can't tell you how much frustration I've had over the past few weeks trying to figure this out . You just HATE it when the solution is sooo simple :oops: . Having said that, I would have NEVER tried that.

Thanx again..........I love this site.

delfuhd
11-25-2004, 06:35 PM
I did this once.. I had never even touched the switch, so one time I was just sliding it back and forth, and put it back in my pocket pc forgetting to slide it away from the write protection.. The the next time I tried to create a document I kept getting error messages. I got really scared then about 10 minutes later realized what I had done :lol: That little sqwitch can be darn troublesome

Sven Johannsen
11-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Yea, and write protected is with the switch pushed towards the end of the card to which it would be pushed if it caught on something when inserting the card. That's happened to folks before that never touched the switch themselves :?

maximus
11-26-2004, 01:56 AM
I have no idea how this happened, but I can't perform ANY actions on my SD card. The common error message I get is that it is write-protected. Heres the message I get when I insert the disk into my laptop:

Is that a sandisk ? :wink:

shawnc
11-26-2004, 01:51 PM

Is that a sandisk ? :wink:

You ask a curious question......tell me why (anyone recognize the movie). Any Yes, it is a sandisk.

Darius Wey
11-27-2004, 04:43 AM
You ask a curious question......tell me why (anyone recognize the movie). Any Yes, it is a sandisk.

Sandisk cards used to be notorious for odd, random behaviour in the past, but they are getting better now. I don't have one though, so I can't comment. :P

shawnc
11-27-2004, 05:03 AM
Sandisk cards used to be notorious for odd, random behaviour in the past, but they are getting better now. I don't have one though, so I can't comment. :P

Yeah, I've heard that (though I've only owned sandisk and have never had a problem). But in this case you can't really blame the card since I obviously moved the write-protect button.

allenalb
11-27-2004, 06:15 AM
one of my lexars split in half somehow, and the little write protect tab got lost. that put it in permalock. even though it separated in half, it still works perfectly though. neat looking inside.

luckily, i had a stone dead sandisk that i was able to steal a tab from. worked like a charm...

until that one got lost too...

so now i just have a reallysmall 256 meg non rewriteable rectangular mix cd :)

ctmagnus
11-27-2004, 06:31 AM
That happened to me once too. Lexar replaced it under warranty, though.

maximus
11-28-2004, 08:05 AM
so now i just have a reallysmall 256 meg non rewriteable rectangular mix cd :)

256 megs is not 'really small' on some parts of the world.

Several weeks ago my wife took a 256 megs SD out of her SD case, and immediately a friend of hers screamed, o mi god .. that is 256 megabytes ? that is sooooooooo huge ... the card on my nokia is only 32 megs ...

I immediately had this extreme urge to pull out both my 1 gigs SD cards from the back of my axim and show them to her friend. Luckily I managed to suppress the urge :mrgreen: