View Full Version : gps, pc card adapter question

kaitanium
11-25-2004, 07:35 AM
would any of you guys know how to get my pharos cf gps card to work on my laptop? i have my pharos gps leftover and dont have a pocket pc right now. i can get gps software from my friend and i understand gps software runs regardless of what type of receiver. is all i need a pccard to cf reader/adapter (like the cheapo ones i can get off ebay) or some special pc card adapter? thanks.

Sven Johannsen
11-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Try just plugging it in. Stick the CF card in a PCCard adapter and do it. The CF interface is going to look like a PCCard serial port. With luck, XP will recognize it as such and install drivers. If not, I have had reasonable luck with the Socket serial card drivers that you can find at their site. (www.socketcom.com)

kaitanium
11-25-2004, 09:48 PM
well, ill see if i can get a regular generic pc card-cf adapter on ebay and try it out. hopefully it can work.

Cybrid
11-26-2004, 03:50 AM
Most CF gps card can run without additional drivers.
http://www.pharosgps.com/products/laptopdesktoppc/Misc/PF063.htm This is the pharos one which shouldn't need drivers since they don't seem to ship a driver disk with it.

Oh yeah! use MS street and trips 2004 or higher. When attempting to configure MS s&t 2003, I came across a help file note that said CF GPS cards create a "virtual" com port that is not currently supported.