View Full Version : Love my 50v but miss my side reset button and jog dial

safjazz
11-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I use my PDA to read books all of the time. The text on the screen is amazingly crisp and easy to read.

But, I miss the X5's jog dial (or tab or whatever it's called) on the left side. It was much easier to page through a book holding the PDA in my left hand and moving the jog thingy with my thumb. Using the button pad is too much work.

Also, now that the reset hole is in the back, it's really hard to press the right place unless you're in a well lit area. If you are reading in bed with the light turned off, it's practically impossible to hit the reset.

And, I'm still not over the backup battery not being user-replaceable.

All that being said, the X50 is still the most fabulous PDA I've ever owned. Now, if uBook reader would just work on the darn thing....

Jonathon Watkins
11-24-2004, 02:05 PM
But, I miss the X5's jog dial (or tab or whatever it's called) on the left side. It was much easier to page through a book holding the PDA in my left hand and moving the jog thingy with my thumb. Using the button pad is too much work.

Same here. I'm still getting used to all the differences. I like it so far, but am not sure about the battery life. What are your thoughts?

safjazz
11-24-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm getting about 5 hours reading and about 3 hors surfing the web. Listening to audio in my car is about 4-5 hours. I'm only getting about an hour or so watching video. Not sure why. My XV battery lasted longer on video.

drop
11-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Yeah, how I miss the jog dial. Reconfiguring the two side buttons to scrolling up and down is almost as good, not quite but almost. But that jog dial sure was handy. Oh well. The X50v is still very sweet.

The battery is not as bad as I thought. I have to readjust my comfort level and not freak out at 40% or 30%. I find I could make it one work day without charging. But I am still getting the Mugen battery whenever it comes out.

TMann
11-24-2004, 02:58 PM
I use my PDA to read books all of the time. The text on the screen is amazingly crisp and easy to read.

I miss having a jog dial too. I have heard that people have tried re-mapping the two side buttons to scroll up and to scroll down. It's not as convenient as having a jog dial, but it would be a reasonable substitute, I suppose.

TMann

safjazz
11-24-2004, 03:18 PM
I'll have to try remapping. Thanks for the idea. :)

webdaemon
11-27-2004, 02:17 AM
I remapped the side buttons for page up and down and it seems OK. I do miss the ability to press the jog wheel to click a link though.