View Full Version : This is Crazy - Any Help is Appreciated...

Darius Wey
11-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Okay, here's the situation. In my lifetime, I've built about 50 billion computers, and I've never had a problem until now:

I just constructed this computer for a friend of mine, *but* there is now a problem: when you touch the case, or shift the case around on the table, the whole computer restarts. I've checked for short circuits, dodgy wiring, etc. and there were no problems stemming from those areas.

Yes - and I'll reiterate it again: if you *touch* the case, it restarts. :confused totally:

So... if anyone has a clue what is going on - please post your thoughts (NOW!). ;)

wocket
11-24-2004, 01:12 PM
I had the same strange thing once or twice. It appeared to stop once I had put the case together including the side panels and the screws.

I'm convinced it was down to the computer detecting that the case is open and shutting down or restarting. :?

Steven Cedrone
11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Bad ground? Can you change out the PS to see if it is having problems? (Do you have any spares lying around)

Steve

Darius Wey
11-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I had the same strange thing once or twice. It appeared to stop once I had put the case together including the side panels and the screws.

Nope - the same thing happens with or without the side panels and screws. I think it's worse with the side panels on though (not that that helps anything). ;)

Darius Wey
11-24-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm convinced it was down to the computer detecting that the case is open and shutting down or restarting. :?

Nah... Computers aren't that smart to be able to work that out...(yet). :D

Darius Wey
11-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Bad ground? Can you change out the PS to see if it is having problems? (Do you have any spares lying around)

No spares lying around at the moment (unless I take apart one of my other computers just to get the PSU out of it - but it's quite a hassle to be honest).

You think it could be the PSU? :| EDIT: You know - I think you could be right... There's no other logical explanation for it.

Steven Cedrone
11-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Well, let us know how you make out!

Darius Wey
11-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, let us know how you make out!

I'll know by Thursday or Friday. :) I don't have any PSUs lying around so I'll just have to duck over to the computer store and get them to swap it over. Fingers-crossed - let's hope it works. ;)

Darius Wey
11-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Okay, problem resolved:

After a LONG day trying to work out what the problem was, it all came down to a faulty batch of cases. The power/reset switches were too long, and were making loose fits with the buttons, and so that was causing the problem. A quick trim-down of the switches and all is well now.

A devil of an experience - but thankfully, it's all over. :D

wocket
11-25-2004, 10:08 AM
8) Glad to here you got it sorted. Switches eh who'd a thought.

Darius Wey
11-25-2004, 10:13 AM
8) Glad to here you got it sorted. Switches eh who'd a thought.

Yup. It's the last thing I would have thought of - but hey... things like this happen from time to time! :? ;)