View Full Version : Audible's audio books: Can I resell my books?

famousdavis
11-23-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm tinkering with listening to audio books on my PPC. I've heard of Audible (http://www.audible.com) and am intrigued.

Since I'm not likely going to listen and re-listen to the same audio book over and over, like I would with a music CD, I'd like to know whether I could transfer my ownership rights to an Audible audio book I bought to another Audible member? Essentially, can I resell my rights to an Audible book? Moreover, can I purchase the listening rights from another Audible member?

I'm sure that Audible doesn't encourage this behavior, as it would tend to eat into their audio book sales. But still, I'm wondering if the practice is possible or not. Something ventured, something gained.

Also, do CDs burned with Audible content play on any CD player?

bigkingfun
11-24-2004, 12:13 AM
I can't answer the first part of your question for sure, although I highly doubt it's possible. I've had problems just moving the files from one PPC to another, both activated using the same account, so I doubt it would work if it went to an entirely different person.

I can say for sure that the CDs burned with Audible books will play on a standard CD player. I have tried burning them and they played fine in my car. The problem I have with this option is that they tend to take a lot of CDs for a single book (some of the books I've bought have been up to 12 hours of reading). I just find it easier to put it on my PPC or iPod so I don't have to constantly change CDs.

ChristopherTD
11-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Audiobooks and CDs are an uneasy match because most audio CD players don't bookmark your position, and if you pause the playback many of them continue to spin the disc until you press play again (which is merely irritating). It is very easy to lose your place in a book if listening on CD. However some car CD players do remember your position.

If you can get a decent Audible client on the PPC then that is a good alternative, but the Audible software is an utter nightmare. If you have one, an iPod works brilliantly with Audible books.