View Full Version : Best ebook reader - comparison

jonasludvigsson
11-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Hello,
I am totally new to the world of ebooks.
I would like to know if any more professional comparison of different ebook readers has been made? Some people obviously regard the adobe reader a joke, others love mobipocket/reader while still others go with the MS reader.
What should I think of before choosing an ebook reader?
Background: I am into medicine, and I mostly read science stuff.
sincerely, Jonas Ludvigsson from Sweden

AggieJon
11-22-2004, 10:30 PM
I used Microsoft Reader for quite a while, but for the last few months I've been using µBook (http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html). I love it! It uses the screen real-estate better, so that you have less page turns, and it supports palm books, txt, rtf, html, and it can read inside zip files. 8O
The skins make reading easier on my eyes, as well.

It has always been free, but I just noticed that there is a new version on their homepage, with this message attached:
In the last months, the donations have trickled down and it is quite expensive to maintain µBook and this web site. So we have decided to make µBook licensing mandatory. The license price has been set to 12$ usd.

I wish it were still free, but I guess I don't have to upgrade. :|

Pat Logsdon
11-22-2004, 10:44 PM
I like MobiPocket. Cleartype, autoscroll, customizable fonts, text and background colors, easy orientation switches and support for most eBook formats.

One of the things I like best about it, however, is that I can create and/or read blogs/rss feeds etc. The eNews Creator (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/ProductDetailsCreator.asp?edition=Home&feature=16) will even let you "scrape" regular web pages on a set schedule. Very nice! 8)

disconnected
11-23-2004, 05:19 AM
I mostly read current fiction, so DRM is inescapable. Ereader has the least annoying DRM handling.

Jorgen
11-23-2004, 07:27 AM
I mainly use iSilo and MS Reader:

iSilo because it has the best userinterface, best compression rate, is very fast and it can download a whole web-site and make it into an ebook. I have used it since it was called ToGo. Well worth the money (you can use it free of charge with some restrictions).

MS Reader despite it has the second-worst userinterface (uBook is worse) and is the slowest around: it looks damn good on the screen.

eReader (you may know it as PalmReader or even PeanutReader) and MobiReader are also nice, but I would never buy a Mobi DRM ebook (you may one day have to re-download all your ebooks - no, not me, thanks!). Of those I would therefore go for Palm, just in case I should go astray and buy a DRM protected book. The text looks good on both and the userinterface is good.

I mention uBook as I saw a thread discussing it. Apart from the userinterface that takes some getting used to, the text looks fuzzy on my screens (hp-568, 548 and h1910). I would have liked that it can read .ZIP files. It is based on a very good idea!

For dictionary / encyclopediay stuff, nothing comes close to TomeRaider.

For sience stuff, one needs one that can handle HTML because of the many "wierd" characters: iSilo is good. I have not tried Reader for science texts.

Jorgen

Ommadawn
11-23-2004, 11:00 PM
I love ubook, and use it most when I can (which is often :) ).

It's very configurable, and free up to the latest version (so you can still grab an older version if you don't want to pay - actually, you can still use newer versions, they aren't crippled apart from a nag screen every now and then).

If you're getting fuzzy text, make sure you have smooth fonts turned on, and fiddle with the display settings (in detailed settings mode, under fonts, set smooth mode, play with method, orientation, distribution and the two size settings). I've got a very clear display on my h1930.

Considering it's features, I think it's still a bargain at $12, and registered it straight away.

Of course, if you want to read DRM books, you either need another reader, or a little utility that's available on the net...

dh
11-27-2004, 03:47 AM
I use OpieReader on my Zaurus and it is a great program. On the PPC, Mobipocket is my favorite but Opie Reader is even better in many ways.

The only problem is that it can't read any DRM protected books. I have to buy my books in dot lit format then covert to unprotected mobipocket, which OpieReader handles well.

I've asked the mobipocket folks about making a Zaurus verion, but there isn't any interest.

acollet
11-29-2004, 03:20 AM
Personally, I have uninstalled MS Reader due to my fustrations with MS pathetic activation policy. For someone who changes devices as soon as they come out, I got fedup with having to almost hire a lawyer to beg MS for another activation as I hit my limit. Now I will only use eReader. Anyone else have this fustratoin w/ MS Activation ?

Kurt Hunciker
12-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Personally, I have uninstalled MS Reader due to my fustrations with MS pathetic activation policy. For someone who changes devices as soon as they come out, I got fedup with having to almost hire a lawyer to beg MS for another activation as I hit my limit. Now I will only use eReader. Anyone else have this fustratoin w/ MS Activation ?

I hit my limit and was denied activation with a Dell Axim X50v. I posted a message to Microsoft on the Activation web page a week ago requesting additional activations (and giving the information outlined below), but I initially received an automated denial, followed by radio silence from Microsoft after I appealed the denial.

Microsoft's activation limitation is absurd for several reasons.

First, in order to download ebooks for use on a Pocket PC, it is necessary first to activate a PC, resulting in the using up of multiple activations. Second, technology changes rapidly. I doubt many readers of this forum are using the same Pocket PC they used two years ago. Third, Pocket PCs sometimes break down and are replaced rather than repaired.

Each of these reasons apply to my personal experience. I used up my quota of 6 activations as follows:

(1) my laptop at the time that Microsoft reader was first introduced (necessary to download ebooks to my first Pocket PC); (2) an IPAQ 3650 which I no longer own; (3) an Axim X5 which a friend dropped and which has a broken screen; (4) a replacement reconditioned Axim X5, in which I subsequently manged to destroy the CF slot by trying to insert a CF card too fast; (5) a newer laptop which is my primary computer; (6) a second replacement reconditioned Axim X5, which was my primary Pocket PC until I ordered the Axim X50v; and (7) my X50v, as to which activation was denied.

If Microsoft wants me to continue using broken devices or older technology to read Microsoft ebooks, that, of course, is their perogative. Of course, I can choose never to order an ebook in Microsoft format again, which is exactly what I plan to do.

Jorgen
12-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Microsoft should realise that the people most likely to read ebooks are the ones that change PDA most often.

Jorgen

Paula
12-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Hello,
I am totally new to the world of ebooks.
I would like to know if any more professional comparison of different ebook readers has been made? Some people obviously regard the adobe reader a joke, others love mobipocket/reader while still others go with the MS reader.
What should I think of before choosing an ebook reader?
Background: I am into medicine, and I mostly read science stuff.
sincerely, Jonas Ludvigsson from Sweden

Ultimately the best reader is the one you are most comfortable with.
I would suggest downloading all of the readers and trying them out. You will get a 14 or 30 day free trial on their Pro versions. After the trial period, the pro version only features will stop working, but you are still left with a very good reader. Most readers will give you a free book or two to start out with.
I like the ability to change the background colors and font size and color. I use a black backgroud with white letters because it is easier on the eyes. eReader allows you to do this with its free version.

I would stay clear of Microsoft Reader only because every time MS upgrades the reader you have to get the new version because any new books you buy won't work on the old version.

I personally prefer eReader over Mobipocket. eReader seems to be more stable.

I also find that when you have over 50 (closer to 100) or so books Mobipocket has a difficult time with the index.

dMores
12-03-2004, 01:15 PM
actually, white-on-black is not easier on the eyes. readability is reduced.
while your eyes might like the lower light intensity, the eye has to "work more" to decipher inverted text.

i'd suggest turning down the light (i had my loox on the notch just before "off", and it was very soothing) and keeping a dark type on a light background.

don't ask me how i know, i learned that sometime in class. the medical evidence i cannot remember anymore.

Jorgen
12-03-2004, 04:43 PM
white-on-black is not easier on the eyes. readability is reduced.

I think so too. However, the backlight on some PDAs is too strong (especially iPaqs), which makes it unpleasant to read in a dark room. Changing to dark background can help.

Jorgen

Paula
12-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Well guys all I know is that I was getting headaches and my eyes would get tired when I used a white background or slightly coloured background with black type. Turning down the light did nothing, but make me squint more. I inverted white/black to black/white and all my problems were solved. I can read for hours now, no headaches, no eye strain. Hence black background, white type is easier on my eyes. :D

Squid
12-04-2004, 04:55 AM
Hello All,

I really was interested in seeing what everyone else thought about this as well. Funny thing is for me it is D all of the above... :roll: Yes, I use the evil empires reader... :devilboy: I also have eReader, MobiPocket, uBook Reader (sorry I know that's the wrong symbol), and Adobe. I also use IE for Avantgo and PocketBible for my bible. Whew, so many books... so little time. :lol: The other goofball thing I do is pack around HUNDREDS of books. In different formats. For no apparent reason. Crazy! 8O I really like to read on these silly things.

I think that most everyone would agree that Adobe is probably the worst reader. I like being able to read over .pdf files if I need to. But if the wordwrap doesn't format right for a file then forget it. Talk about instant migrane! It is also so FAT! 7-8 megs for a reader is a little bloated to me.

If forced to make a choice on a favorite it would probably be MobiPocket. I like the fact that I can convert web pages into a "book" and take it with me. I seem to have a lot of problems with this causing my PPC to crash though. Not sure why either. eReader would be a very close second. They have an insane selection, and the website is pretty easy to buy from. Probably just used to their DRM methods, but you have to admit it is easier than MS activation.

My $0.02.

Regards,

Squid

Jorgen
12-04-2004, 08:31 AM
MobiPocket is good, but I seem to recall that the list of ebooks gets very slow when you have really many ebooks. Try iSilo (reader) and iSiloX (convert webpages and HTML/text to ebooks) - it is faster than any other reader, has the best userinterface and the books are better compressed so you can carry more of them. The downside is that you have to register to get fonts and weblinks, but is free if you don't need these.

Jorgen

Kurt Hunciker
12-08-2004, 01:11 AM
I hit my limit and was denied activation with a Dell Axim X50v. I posted a message to Microsoft on the Activation web page a week ago requesting additional activations (and giving the information outlined below), but I initially received an automated denial, followed by radio silence from Microsoft after I appealed the denial.

Since that post, another week has passed by, and I am still waiting to hear from Microsoft. When I attempt to activate my Axim X50v, all I learn is that my request for an additional activation is "pending". I know that considering activiation requests must be low on Microsoft's priority list, but this is highly frustrating. :evil:

I will keep the forum informed of what Microsoft's ultimate decision will be: to require me to stick with old technology forever in order to read ebooks in Reader format that I purchased, or to permit me to update to current technology.

Squid
12-08-2004, 04:32 AM
Kurt,

Not sure if this is a legitimate way of doing things, but couldn't you copy the old X5 to the new PPC? I have backed them up and zipped them on a storage card in case I have to do a hard reset. What would the difference be if I copied the files to a new device? Wouldn't it simply "activate" the reader? Just curious.

Regards,

Squid

Jorgen
12-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Do you mean: copy the MS Reader configuration-files to the new PPC? No, you could do so in the old days, but not any more. Apart from un-DRM-ing the Reader files (which most likely is illegal in most countries), I see no way aound the problem.

We need someone capable of negotiating with the copyright holders, including MS. The big blog-owners - including PocketPCthoughts, right, Jason? - hardly touch the problem except now and then, though losing all ebooks is a serious matter for the individual concerned. However, this new initiative may change that http://cebooks.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_cebooks_archive.html#110189072066210759.

Jorgen

WyattEarp
12-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Do you mean: copy the MS Reader configuration-files to the new PPC? No, you could do so in the old days, but not any more.

Since when? I have my MS Reader config files copied and saved. Any time Reader is updated I just put them back in the original location and I'm ready to go. :D

Jorgen
12-11-2004, 07:48 AM
I used to do the same, but it did not work with the latest version of Reader.

Jorgen

mboliver
12-30-2004, 05:03 PM
What about Tome Raider? I just started using this, and like it far better than MS Reader. I think it's a newer version (3?).

Does anyone else think it is decent? Or should I try other programs for my needs.

The thing is, I don't want to carry more than 1 (well 2 if you count Adobe) readers. TR seems to be decent. The only thing is that you now have to convert all of the TR files to "TR3". But it only takes a few seconds to do that.

Anyway, interested in your thoughts. :D

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 08:29 PM
I think that most everyone would agree that Adobe is probably the worst reader. I like being able to read over .pdf files if I need to. But if the wordwrap doesn't format right for a file then forget it. Talk about instant migrane! It is also so FAT! 7-8 megs for a reader is a little bloated to me.

You can delete all the stuff in \plugins, totalling 2.7Mbyte - very rarely (if ever!) will you need it.

BTW, on a VGA device, I find Adobe Reader pretty cool. So far, I've used RepliGo on my QVGA devices (3660, 2210) because of two reasons:

1, there're no decent PDF -> anything converters. Something is always lost, whatever PDF converter you use.
2, this is, in most cases, the only way to get flowed text.

However, on my new VGA machine, I don't use RepliGo because I don't need reflowed text any more . Adobe is working OK with me.

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 08:37 PM
BTW, there was another poll at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18246 over a year ago. Interestingly, the majority of the votes came for MS Reader.

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Since that post, another week has passed by, and I am still waiting to hear from Microsoft. When I attempt to activate my Axim X50v, all I learn is that my request for an additional activation is "pending". I know that considering activiation requests must be low on Microsoft's priority list, but this is highly frustrating. :evil:

I will keep the forum informed of what Microsoft's ultimate decision will be: to require me to stick with old technology forever in order to read ebooks in Reader format that I purchased, or to permit me to update to current technology.

Ever tried this: ***Convert Lit URL removed by mod SJC***? (Now the server seems to be down, though.)

Menneisyys
12-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Incidentally, I wrote some 1.5 years ago some additional libraries for Mobipocket's MWC to allow for really cool site downloading & image work. I've also written a lot about different e-book readers.

Please note that the article is unedited and, therefore, has a lot of out-of-order infos, and also that it's a bit outdated. However, with my additional libraries (and a bit of manual tweaking), it is able to download far more types of websites than iSiloX.

You can check it out at http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/mwc

portnoy
12-30-2004, 10:56 PM
I use Microsoft Reader. It may not be the best reader, but the tool that works with Word to create books is easy enough for me to use and that means a lot to me. I've never found Palm ebooks easy to create. And whenever the alternative for free software is offered, that's what I use.

Menneisyys
12-31-2004, 10:11 AM
I use Microsoft Reader. It may not be the best reader, but the tool that works with Word to create books is easy enough for me to use and that means a lot to me. I've never found Palm ebooks easy to create.

Mobipocket also uses a very simple and easy-to-use plug-ins and standalone creators. And, the app itself is much superior to even the latest version of MS Reader.

dMores
12-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Palm Ebook Studio is a really simple program that lets you create palm ebooks (.pdb) real easy.

open the PDF, DOC or RTF file you have, copy and paste into ebook studio. important formattings like italic, bold and tabs are transferred, you can define author, title etc. and you have a perfect palm ebook.

costs money, but not much.

Kurt Hunciker
01-06-2005, 07:28 AM

In fairness to Microsoft, I thought I should provide an update. This weekend, I decided to try activating my Acim X50v yet again -- and it worked! :) -- something that did not occur for a few weeks.

I did not receive anything from Microsoft telling me I was allowed more activations (at least to my knowledge).

Bottom line: Microsoft took its time, but ultimately it did listen.