View Full Version : Scheduled Network Share (or FTP) filecopy to SD software?

mikewren
11-22-2004, 01:07 AM
Greetings,

I'm looking for software that will do the following:

At a specific time, I want my iPAQ 4155 to wake up, log onto my home wifi network, and copy a specific file (or directory sync) to the SD card. The idea is that I download talkradio shows and other content daily to my home media server, and I'm too lazy to manually take the SD card out of my iPAQ, copy the files over on my desktop, then put the SD card back in the iPAQ. Why not automate the process so that I alwasy have new audio content waiting for me in the morning for the commute?

If a network share filecopy/sync isn't an option, then FTP may be another option. It can happen either via WiFi or Bluetooth, but WiFi would be much faster (we're talking upwards of 40MB each day).

I've spent the past 15 minutes searching and have come up with zilch... maybe someone knows of some software that may do the trick?

I'm handy with Windows batch files, if someone knows of a commadline interperter and a way to trigger them via a scheduled tasks?

Thanks!

fivepetpalace
11-24-2004, 03:34 AM
I use this (well, just in the last week since someone here showed it to me).

Mightysync from here :

http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/

works great for this

set up mightysync to sync the folder you want, and to sync whenever activesync is run.

then set activesync to sync every ____ minutes

And since it's sync, once you delete it from your ppc, it will delete from your pc when you activesync.

Michael

mikewren
11-24-2004, 04:05 AM
Interesting idea, thanks for the input! I didn't even think of the activesync route. I was stuck in my batch file mindset, since it would be a piece of cake to do under 2000 or XP.

Can you think of any way to schedule/force a sync at a specific time? The whole network sync idea is one I haven't explored yet... looks pretty neat!

Thanks again!

fivepetpalace
11-24-2004, 04:12 AM
I haven't actually set up the sync every __ minutes part, but in the options of activesync theres a mobile schedule, that looks like it schedules sync.

I bet someone else will jump in to help us at this point... or you could start a new thread... how to schedule/force a sync at a specific time

Good luck!, let us know your results.

fivepetpalace
11-24-2004, 05:17 PM
My automatic sync is working on the 4155 0X

on the pc sync tab, i have selected the pc i want to sync with, and use mobile schedule to sync with this pc is checked

sync with this pc during manual sync is unchecked

under the pc options, i have it set to disconnect when done

then mobile schedule is set to sync every 2 hours

it's worked fine, it wont let you set a specific time, however, there are peak and off peak time settings, you could probably set your off peak times to a certain time of day, and only let it sync during off peak, and wala, it syncs at a certain time.

0X