View Full Version : No Major Review of Dell X50V?

azhiker
11-21-2004, 07:32 PM
I find it interesting that major reviews of almost every new PPC are published before most people get their hands on the product.

But as of today there are few if any reviews of the new Dell X50V, even though the blogs and forums are full of folks who already have it. I can read what they say but have been wanting to know what the major reviewers think about the real capabilities and limitations of the Dell model.

I only wonder why there is such silence over what appears to be a major release of a PPC? :? Have I missed them?

Pat Logsdon
11-21-2004, 08:00 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33213&start=0

:wink:

azhiker
11-21-2004, 08:07 PM
The reviews that OSUKid7 refers to were posted over a month ago, and all of them were quick reviews and not based on real day to day operation in the real world most of us operate in.

So how about a real world review of the AXIM x50v? :roll:

azhiker
11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Sorry Pat, I meant you referred to the reviews from last months PPCThoughts, not OSUKid7 :oops:

bigkingfun
11-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Check out www.pocketnow.com - they're running a 14 day blog of their day-to-day experience with a new x50v. I think they're on day 5 right now.

ADBrown
11-21-2004, 11:50 PM
all of them were quick reviews and not based on real day to day operation in the real world most of us operate in.

Actually, many of them were. We--that is to say, the people who wrote the insta-reviews--got our units several days to a week ahead of the actual release date, so we had time to put it to real daily use before the deadline.

famousdavis
11-22-2004, 03:10 AM
azhiker, was there something in particular you wanted to learn about the X50v? Or are you just looking for general impressions of the unit in a real-world use?

azhiker
11-22-2004, 06:15 AM
I really am looking for a replacement to my Toshiba E310. I have waited to see how the VGA units would fair... and they seem either too expensive (Ipaq 4700) or not available (Toshiba 830), and the Axim X50V seems to be the closest to what I am looking for.

So far (alas) the vga systems are still not fully capable and require too much resetting (depending on the software you are running). And the Axim X50v battery falls short of what a VGA system should have.

I was hoping the reviews would prove otherwise. :cry:

ADBrown
11-22-2004, 06:56 AM
So far (alas) the vga systems are still not fully capable and require too much resetting (depending on the software you are running). And the Axim X50v battery falls short of what a VGA system should have.

Define what a VGA system should have? Any way you slice it, it's going to be less than an equivalently built QVGA system because of the increase in pixels, processing power, and backlight. That said, I've found my X50v to be more than suitable if I'm not using it for wireless all the time. I've also not had to deal with any more soft resets than I did on my X30.