View Full Version : hx4700 Bluetooth out-of-memory problem

lanwarrior
11-20-2004, 05:01 AM
Does anyone know if there is a workaround to the hx4700 problem where, after repeated on/off of the BT apps, the BT Manager will report that it can't be turned on since it's out of memory?

jimski
11-20-2004, 06:25 AM
I wish I knew. I specifically sent my brand new hx4705 to PPC Techs for the 128MB upgrade to prevent/eliminate this problem. While the upgrade has given me a welcome 64MB of additional RAM, once I have around 22-25MB of Program RAM in use (I have allocated 78MB of 126MB available RAM to Program Memory) I cannot activate Bluetooth or WiFi, requiring a soft reset. I don't have any problems with regular apps and have used my device with 10 or more apps open and running at the same time.

I believe that there is something telling the radios that when 24MB or so of RAM is in use, there can only be a few MB of RAM available (without actually checking) and therefore prevents the radio from launching.

I am guessing that 80-90 of my soft resets (1 to 3 per day) are a result of trying to launch either Bluetooth & WiFi. This is frustrating because my 2 year old 5450 (with PPC2002) behaves in much the same way. So much for progress. :(

lanwarrior
11-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey Jimski,

It happened with your 5450? I had a 5455 before the 4700 and I only have the BT out-of-memory once in a while, specifically when I am opening & closing more than 3 apps at the same time. However, it DID happen.

It's interesting that with your hx4700, even with the 128 Mb upgrade; it still doesn't rectify the problem. After years of making PPC, I am beginning to wonder if HP even care of fixing old issues such as this BT problem. I am not sure if this is really MS problem, as my old Loox never exhibits this.

I've given up contacting HP, since they never really responded.

Sven Johannsen
11-20-2004, 06:38 PM
It's interesting that with your hx4700, even with the 128 Mb upgrade; it still doesn't rectify the problem. After years of making PPC, I am beginning to wonder if HP even care of fixing old issues such as this BT problem. I am not sure if this is really MS problem, as my old Loox never exhibits this.

You can add the Dell X50 to the devices that exhibit this problem. I've never seen it on my HP 4155 or 2215 though. I don't recall it happenning on the X30, but I'm not possitive on that.