View Full Version : Damn PPC keeps switching itself on

darthbane2k
11-19-2004, 04:17 PM
I am running an Ipaq 1940/5 on Windows Mobile 2003. And for some reason whenever I switch it off, 5 mins later I find it has switched itself back on again but with the backlight off. Obviously this drains the battery and lord help me if I decide to take the thing on holiday and dont have a cradle nearby.
Its not the midnight bug as it switches itself on constantly every 5 mins or so.
I have tried exiting all apps in memory properly and it does the same thing. Even exiting activesync.
I find when I check the PPC and its switched on, it has tried to connect by itself, I get the connection error dialog bubble.
Is there anyway to put a stop to this annoying bug?

scary
11-19-2004, 06:07 PM
It normally isn't a bug caused problem. It usually happens when you have a Today screen program that gets data from the internet and you have told it to automatically update itself every xx minutes. Weather programs such as Weather Today, WeatherPanel, etc. are capable of turning on the PDA and connecting to the internet and refreshing their weather data. You should have a timeout set on your PDA, though, to turn itself back off if it isn't being used. Then it will just turn back off after 1, 2 or 3 minutes. Otherwise, you can tell some of the weather programs not to automatically connect to the internet. For instance, Weather Today has several connection options. It can be set to only refresh itself when the PDA is on and a connection to the internet is already available. I hope this helps.

Steve

Ultima
11-19-2004, 06:40 PM
No offense or anything, but when you are turning the PDA off, are you tapping the power button quickly once or are you holding the power button down for a few seconds. Holding the power button down for a few seconds on a Pocket PC actually will engage/disengage the backlight, not turn the device off. Tapping the power button quickly will turn the device off proper.

Forgive me, but from my observations, it's a common mistake. If it's not this, it's probably what scary suggested.

darthbane2k
11-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Okay, First of all I have NO today screen hack, all I have running in the background is vbar which is a task manager.

I DO switch the PPC off properly, I see it switch off, just 5 mins later it switches back on.

This is really driving me mad , it is definately the connection setting as when I see it switched on the status bubble displays a connection error as it is trying to connect via my Bluetooth network (I use it wirelessly in the house sometimes sharing my PCs bluetooth connection).

And yes, My bluetooth radio is switched OFF.

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Have you looked all through the AS setup options? that's one place an auto connect can be found. Another is in mail. Set up any PoP3 mail accounts? Those can be setup to auto retrieve.

The program doesn't have to be a today screen program to have the ability to access the net, or want to, to update things. Anything like that installed? Stock program, currency calculator, weather? Something is kicking it off, we just need to find the bugger.

Pat Logsdon
11-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Did you abnormally terminate an ActiveSync session? To see if it's an ActiveSync problem, do a soft reset, then put the device in the cradle and let AS do its thing. Then, instead of just pulling the device out, tap "STOP", wait until the indicator icon on your PC's system tray turns grey, and THEN pull it from the cradle and turn it off. If AS was the problem, it should stay off. If it turns on again, you've got the problem Sven is describing.

scary
11-20-2004, 03:21 AM
Now it sounds like you have Activesync on the PDA set to automatically sync every 5 minutes. Open Activesync on the PDA, Click Tools|Options and then click the 'Mobile Schedule' tab at the lower right. See if any of the options are set to anything other than Manual.

S.

darthbane2k
11-20-2004, 06:58 PM
I checked AS settings, was already on manual so its not that.
Could be my inbox, how can I check?

It still switches itself on after 5 mins with a connection failure dialog box, SOMETHING is trying to connect...

scary
11-21-2004, 02:46 AM
That could be it. OK. Open the Inbox. Click TOOLS. Click OPTIONS. Click on your email account(s) in the Accounts list. Go through the options with the NEXT button. After about 3 clicks, you should be at the 'Server Information ' page which has an OPTIONS button on it. Options Page 1 of 2 has options to automatically connect to the internet every xx minutes if you choose it. That's where you can put a stop to it it if it set.

S.

baker
11-21-2004, 03:29 AM
My former e310 did this and it was a board problem that needed repair.
My 4155 did this and it was the AS settings. The second time it started doing it, it was just as Pat said. I turned off the 4155 while WiFi'd to AS. If I remember to 'stop' AS before turning things off, it doesn't turn itself on.