View Full Version : Activesync and user accounts in XP

rosbif
11-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Am having a problem with my connection.. How do I stop activesync from running in one of the user accounts on my XP system? I want my iPaq to sync when I log on but not when my daughter logs on. Do I just move a file or something?

TIA
Adrian

yankeejeep
11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
It sounds as though ActiveSync has been installed as available for all users. You should log in under your account, uninstall AS, then reinstall as available only for your user account. That way, when your daughter signs in, AS will not even be an available program.

rosbif
11-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks for that yj - I don't remember being given an option to install it only to one user as opposed to all users.. Anyone remember if that was one of the options?

yankeejeep
11-17-2004, 08:22 PM
This is a Windows option as opposed to ActiveSync. If you have multiple user accounts on your Windows machine, installing a program should prompt as to whether you want it available for all users or just your user account. AS itself is pretty dumb and will function with the Outlook account open at the time.

When you start Windows, does it prompt you for which user account to open? If it does, then you should be able to install AS to be available to your specific user account rather than to all users.

FrozenIpaq
11-20-2004, 01:35 AM
If you install it as and administrator account then it might work with only the admin if you have the install settings on XP as for admin or user only. GL trying to solve it.

rosbif
11-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for those replies. I have both accounts set as admin accounts (there was a good reason for it at the time but I can't remember it at the mo!). I think that might be why it didn't offer me the option of installing to one user only.

I'll see if MS can provide an answer...

Janak Parekh
11-20-2004, 08:18 PM
There is an alternative if you're not averse to hacking the registry. (Disclaimer: if you mess up your registry, you can affect the stability of your system, and I take no responsibility. ;) Only do this if you're reasonably comfortable using REGEDIT.)

Take a look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. If there's anything in there related to ActiveSync, move it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, while you're logged in, and it will no longer globally start for everyone.

Note that there is no drag-and-drop in the Registry Editor, though, so moving it will be akin to deleting the key in one place and recreating it in the other.

--janak

rosbif
11-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Janak,

Thanks for the suggestion - have looked in the registry (backing up first of course!) and found references to activesync only in the current_user keys and not in local_machine. So it would appear there is nothing I can move...

nitestrike
11-24-2004, 11:17 AM
***Disclaimer***
Make sure to always backup the registry before you edit it and I take no responsibility in others actions in doing this.
***Disclaimer***

You can also look at the Local User logged in with your daughters account and make sure there is not anything there either.