View Full Version : Win 98 vs. Win98 SE

Birdman
11-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I have an older computer running Win98 and I am looking to go wireless. I was about to purchase the Linksys Wireless 54Mbps 802.11g SpeedBooster PCI Adapter and noticed that the spec. requirements are for Windows 98SE. One salesperson told me that SE is just 98 with some additional theme packs and it should work fine, while another salesperson told me that Win98 cannot go wireless, you must have at least 98SE so the PCI adapter won't work.

Any comments?

IanG
11-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I'd believe the second guy you talked to. 98SE was a big upgrade, more than just 'a few themes' - in fact I don't recall 98SE having _any_ themes.

I don't have any experience with that particular card, but there's a good chance the driver will check which operating system you are using and refuse to install on regular 98. If you can get it from a store with a good return policy, give it a try, or find a copy of 98SE.

Ian G

Robb Bates
11-15-2004, 07:26 PM
I'll agree with the Win98SE option. Win98SE has a lot of "under the hood" stuff. I was having all kind of problems with USB peripherals using Win98 with the USB drivers. Bluetooth and Card readers would cause lockups and crashes. They all went away when I moved up to Win98SE.

The only problem I had was trying to find a legal copy of Win98SE that someone wasn't using. Everyone and their brother was willing to give me a "copy", but I like to obey the law. It's that darn conscience of mine getting in the way again! ;) Forget about finding one on eBay, people want $80 or so.

The other option you have is to upgrade to Win2k or WinXP if you're going to spend some money. My application *required* Win98.

Robb

Birdman
11-15-2004, 07:29 PM
I went over to a Compusmart location and they said it may work, it may not work, no guarantees but they do allow a full refund within 14 days. I am going to try it tonight and see what happens and if it doesn't take, I will return it to the store.
Thanx for the input.