View Full Version : Accessing internet via dial-up

donkey33
11-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I've done a search for this and read many threads but I none of them really answered my question.

I am looking at getting a PPC and would need to check email everyday on it at home. The thing is, I have no access to any wireless networks but have a dial-up account.

I have tested dialing in through my cell which is connected to my PC via bluetooth and it works fine although the connection speed was about about a 5th of a 56k.

The only thing is, it cost me a truckload to be connected like that.

Is there anyway I can dial into a home phone connection so I could pay local rates when connecting?

Or, what are the best ways to connect one when I only have a cell or a landline to connect to? The cell costs me too much to use but maybe I'm using it wrong as I just dial the ISP number and connect that way.

Thanks

Underwater Mike
11-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Wow, answering this completely could take a LONG time!

If you have a wireline available and a local ISP number, you could use a regular CF modem. I used to do that but haven't used my modem in years, since my broadband provider does not offer dial-up numbers for backup or roaming. If you have a local number available, it's fast and easy.

With the cell, it depends on your provider and whether you have data capability on your handset. What company is it?

donkey33
11-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks.

I live in Australia so the providers you might not have heard of. I'll have to speak to them to see if they have anything.

Would it be classed as data or voice since I'm just dialing a number?

I'm new to all this really and don't understand the tech-jargon that well.

Is a wireline just a landline? Where you plug your regular phone into?

It might not work as say I want to access somewhere other than home, I don't want to have to take a modem with me.

One other question. Is all bluetooth slow? When I did connect it into my PC, it ran at a 5th of the speed of a 56k modem. Is this what I should expect running it into a PPC?

Darius Wey
11-15-2004, 05:03 PM
donkey33, which tel-co is this? Telstra?

In response to your BT question, the current 1.x specification is designed at ~700kbps (rounded to 1Mbps) for simplicity. You shouldn't experience such lag on your PPC. I have a BT connection working fine at the moment, and surfing on my PPC is not any slower.

PetiteFlower
11-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Ok, dialing up to a regular dialup ISP using your cell phone as a modem will be slow, but that's not BT's fault. Dialing up through your computer as normal and hooking up a BT access point and connecting your PDA like that will be faster. If you need/want to use the cell phone as a modem you should get a wireless internet package from your cell provider and connect through that. It should give you full 56k speeds or close to it.

If you really want to be able to connect to your regular dialup ISP through a landline, without a BT-enabled computer between the phone line and the PDA, then you need a CF modem for your PDA. This should still end up being faster then trying to dial up to a landline ISP through your cell phone though.

Sven Johannsen
11-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Is a wireline just a landline? Where you plug your regular phone into?

It might not work as say I want to access somewhere other than home, I don't want to have to take a modem with me.

Wanted to just respond to this specifically. There are both SD and CF card modems available, that plug into regular phone lines. Carrying one is not a great burden.

I'm sure Darius can help a great deal here with the other options as he is in OZ as well.

donkey33
11-16-2004, 12:27 AM
donkey33, which tel-co is this? Telstra?

Thanks Darius.

I don't know if this is the right info or not but my landline is with Telstra and my ISP is Optus.

In response to your BT question, the current 1.x specification is designed at ~700kbps (rounded to 1Mbps) for simplicity. You shouldn't experience such lag on your PPC. I have a BT connection working fine at the moment, and surfing on my PPC is not any slower.

Ok. So is the reason it is running slow on my PC because the BT dongle I have is only 1.x specification? Does my T610 and a PPC have better BT that allows better transmission?

I'm just a bit confused about the BT speed part as connecting through my cell would be easier than getting a CF card.

Darius Wey
11-16-2004, 03:47 AM
I don't know if this is the right info or not but my landline is with Telstra and my ISP is Optus.

Okay, well you have a few options as suggested by the others as well: You can consider getting an SD or CF card modem for your PDA which allows you to connect your PDA to the lines directly, and this should allow you to get the data transfer rates you want. Alternatively, connect your PC to the internet and use your BT network to establish internet connection sharing so that your PDA can get access - you can do this either via a network or via ActiveSync Pass-Through.

Personally, I'd go with the latter option - this is what I use as well. If your PC is already outfitted with BT, chances are, your new PPC will as well since a lot of models have BT integrated within it. So you don't have to bear the extra costs of purchasing the SD or CF modem.

If you really wanted to browse on your phone, there's a number of packages. Assuming your mobile is on Optus as well, you can sign up for the Optus ZOO package - personally, I don't particularly enjoy browsing on my mobile: it costs a bit and it's "cut-down" so to speak. Alternatively, if you're with 3, they may have cheaper rates. You could also consider CDMA for connection as well.

However, having said all that, if your ultimate aim is to get a PPC and check your email at home, you should be fine with connecting wireless via Bluetooth and accessing your internet connection (via your PC).

Ok. So is the reason it is running slow on my PC because the BT dongle I have is only 1.x specification? Does my T610 and a PPC have better BT that allows better transmission?

No, the reason why you are getting slower rates is because you're using your mobile as a modem. Almost all BT devices are using the 1.x specification. The new 2.x specification was only revealed a few days ago, so I highly doubt any devices have been fitted with this yet. So therefore, your T610 does not have better BT transmission rates. It is not the BT connection that is hammering your rates, it is your mobile being used as a modem.

I'm just a bit confused about the BT speed part as connecting through my cell would be easier than getting a CF card.

So in answering this, I've presented the information to you, and since your PC already has a BT dongle attached to it, you need not acquire a separate CF or SD modem for your PDA. Just connect your PC and PPC via Bluetooth either through ActiveSync or through a network connection, and then enable ICS, and you should be up and running in no time. When I first set this up at home, it took me 10 minutes and I was up and running. ;)

If you get round to this, feel free to ask for help if you run into any problems. But just make sure that your new PPC has Bluetooth in it - but most do have it anyway.

donkey33
11-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks Darius.

Everything is understood.

I understand the idea of having the PC connected to the internet and using BT to access it.

It won't really work though as my phone line at home is always tied up and I have to have my PC running everytime.

Maybe I'll try the CF card. How much are they normally?

Thanks

Darius Wey
11-16-2004, 06:03 AM
Maybe I'll try the CF card. How much are they normally?

I think they're pretty pricey: http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=F1839A

I remember the time when they used to be around half the price of that, but since demand for it has plummeted, prices have skyrocketed due to less supply available.

Also, if you're considering using a CF modem, your PPC would need a CF slot...obviously. :mrgreen:

Otherwise, if you can still do the BT (PC-PPC) connection, that would still be the better option, although I understand what you mean by your phone line being tied up. Are you unable to get ADSL?

donkey33
11-16-2004, 06:42 AM
Otherwise, if you can still do the BT (PC-PPC) connection, that would still be the better option, although I understand what you mean by your phone line being tied up. Are you unable to get ADSL?

Not unable but not willing at the moment. I'm a student and I can't justify at the moment spending money on ADSL when dial-up will do me but just slower.

Hmm, the CF cards are a little pricey. I might see what options optus offer in the way of data plans. Only problem there is I'm using the phone as a modem which is a very slow speed right?

Too many decisions and I gotta make a choice.

Thanks again.

Darius Wey
11-16-2004, 07:13 AM
Hmm, the CF cards are a little pricey. I might see what options optus offer in the way of data plans. Only problem there is I'm using the phone as a modem which is a very slow speed right?

Well, it wouldn't be comparable to what you'd get over the BT network with your PC connected to the internet. If you can, I'd still stick to the BT connection (PC-PPC) but this doesn't seem to be an option. And the cost of data plans via the phone would probably justify an upgrade to ADSL anyway... It depends on how much you spend on dial-up at the moment. TPG have cheap deals on broadband at the moment. But I understand the position you're in - it's very hard to make a choice on this one. ;)

Sven Johannsen
11-16-2004, 05:57 PM
It won't really work though as my phone line at home is always tied up and I have to have my PC running everytime.

Umm, that's the same phone line you would need to attach the CF modem to. If it's always tied up...you get the idea.

donkey33
11-17-2004, 12:08 AM
True.

I suppose I hoping for a solution to using my cell and the PPC but it seems that data rates are slow and expensive.

PetiteFlower
11-17-2004, 08:29 PM
You just need to use the cell phone itself as the internet provider rather then using it to dial in to your internet provider. Data rates for this can be pretty cheap depending on what cell phone company you use.

donkey33
11-18-2004, 01:24 AM
Great.

That's kinda what I was hoping.

So, I just ring the phone companies and ask them what?

What should I be looking for?

And the way to use all this is how with my cell and a PPC. Do I dial in with the cell and BT it to the PPC or is there a better way?

Thanks again.

gregh2000
11-18-2004, 01:08 PM
I can tell you around here I use T-mobile for my cell phone. They have a $20 a month unlimited data plan that uses GPRS on the GSM network. It all comes out to about 56 kbps over the cell. It works pretty well, I used to have a T610 that I used it with, but it broke so now I have a Motorola V600. I don't know if they offer that type of service where you are, but if they do, it is possible.

G

Darius Wey
11-19-2004, 05:04 AM
So, I just ring the phone companies and ask them what?

What should I be looking for?

Well, you can call your mobile company and see what data plans they offer. They're not cheap which is why I think the other suggested options may be more financially beneficial in the long run. But it's your call. :D

And the way to use all this is how with my cell and a PPC. Do I dial in with the cell and BT it to the PPC or is there a better way? Yes, you can pair the two devices together and create a partnership so that your PPC can access your phone's resources.

donkey33
11-19-2004, 07:28 AM
Yes, you can pair the two devices together and create a partnership so that your PPC can access your phone's resources.

So, the partnership is created by BT? Is that correct?

And, if I have a data plan, it should be at 56k through the BT partnership?

Thanks again.

Darius Wey
11-20-2004, 04:33 AM
So, the partnership is created by BT? Is that correct?

Yes. :)

And, if I have a data plan, it should be at 56k through the BT partnership?

Not necessarily. It depends on what data transfer rates you get through your phone by using it as a modem. In most cases, it is slower (not to mention, pricey), although it really depends on a number of things.

This is why I suggested that if you are looking for a mobile solution for checking your email at home, you should try a PPC-PC solution, as opposed to a PPC-phone solution. It will work out cheaper, and most probably faster. But I've reiterated this a number of times - you're probably getting sick of me saying this. :P :lol: