View Full Version : Dell X50 vs the X30...... what to get?

Kez_136
11-15-2004, 08:27 AM
G'day all

Dell Australia have successfully stuffed up my christmas order for my Axim X30. Now they say it's a discontinued product, and I dont know weather or not to get the new X50, or to tell Dell to go eat their own products.

What's the differences? Is it better than the X30? (Stupid question, a newer model may or may not be better in my opinion)

I know it has compact flash and SD, which is a good thing, but being a network engineer, I want Ministumbler to run on my new PDA, and want to know if Ministumbler will work on the X50. Other than that, I've looked at the battery tests on this forum for it, and 17 hours for MP3 playback is very nice, and 6/5 hours on the 2200mh battery is good aswell!

My main concern is can i run ministumbler on the X50 using the internal WiFi, is the new video mode worth the extra money over the older model?

Thanks for your help, I'm just very angry that Dell have charged my Amex card, and rang me saying the product doesnt exist now. So I dont know weather to bargain them into giving me the X50 at a discounted price, or to get them to find me an X30.

-Kez

Anthony Caruana
11-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi Kez

If you can afford the X50v then I'd say get it. the screen is very good and the form facor is sweet.

I'll try Ministumbler out shen I get home in a couple of hours.

From another Aussie

Kez_136
11-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Ah excellent!

I've read else where that it doesnt work :(, but that wififofum does... if you could tell me, that would be brilliant, as I need to know by tommorow morning (Aussie time) if WiFiFoFum or Ministumbler work on it.

Darius Wey
11-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Dell Australia have successfully stuffed up my christmas order for my Axim X30. Now they say it's a discontinued product, and I dont know weather or not to get the new X50, or to tell Dell to go eat their own products.

Eat their own products? :lol:

Nah, the X50 is definitely a great Pocket PC in my opinion. While the X30 was a fantastic model, I don't think that Dell will bring it back into the market, if a couple of people ask them to sell it again. The X50 is a beauty of a Pocket PC - if you're looking at the X50v, you obviously have the added advantage of a VGA screen. Other than that, with integrated Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and the Intel 2700 graphics processor, I think it's safe to say that you won't be disappointed.

From another Aussie

And make that another one... ;)

Kez_136
11-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Okay :D Now I know it's a good PDA, can it run Ministumbler or WiFiFoFum?

I love this place, so many fellow Aussies here, I feel quite at home.

Oh and yeah, I'll be going over to Dell HQ @ LaneCover tommorow to sort out this mess, hence why I'm seeking quick reply's. If they dont help me, I'll make them eat their own monitors on their desks :D

Darius Wey
11-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Okay :D Now I know it's a good PDA, can it run Ministumbler or WiFiFoFum?

Not sure - since I don't have the device. But as a heads-up, you may want to keep your eyes on this one (http://www.kasuei.com/wifigraph/) in the near future - I'm expecting big things from this product. :)

If they dont help me, I'll make them eat their own monitors on their desks :D

:rofl:

Kez_136
11-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Oooo... ta for the link mate.

I was just verified by someone on Aximsite.com that WiFiFoFum works on the X50, just you cant change the refresh rate of the signal. That's good news for me :). haha.

Has anyone around here done this?

Anthony Caruana
11-15-2004, 12:07 PM
I've just bunged the latest release of Ministumbler on the X50v I'm reviewing at the moment and the news is not good. I've got a WiFi connection at home but the Ministumbler can't find the wireless adapter :-(

Kez_136
11-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Hmmm... would you be able to try WiFiFoFum? I've been told that it works on there apparently.

Anthony Caruana
11-15-2004, 12:47 PM
WiFiFoFum picked up the AP I have at home. I had to chnage the default setting but it seems to be OK.

Give me a day or so to try it at other locations to make sure it's not using stored settings for my LAn which is set up on the device.

Kez_136
11-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Okay then, that sounds good then :D! Your help was much appreciated