View Full Version : using hotspot?

VegasRook
11-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Hi all,

I was walking into Borders book store tonight and noticed it is a t-mobile hotspot.

My hx4705 has wi-fi and I was wondering if I could use it there? If so, any help on how to do so?

Thanks

OSUKid7
11-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Yep, you should be able to use it there. However, T-Mobile hotspots aren't free. When you turn on wireless on your iPAQ, it should find the access point and ask you if it's ok to connect. Once you connect, start up Pocket IE, and go to any website. It should redirect you to a registration/payment page.

StoneWolf
11-15-2004, 01:33 PM
And at £5 per hour (in the UK) for T-Moblie's service, the word 'extortionate' springs to mind. :roll:

VegasRook
11-16-2004, 09:20 PM
yea ouch.

I just hit Barnes & Noble. Their hotspot is either $3 for 2 hours or $20 a month for unlimited.

Guess I better live at the bookstore then for those rates.

I think if it is nationwide access and I travel often, it might be worth it.

If I was on the road it might be worth the $3 to receive/send emails and do a little browsing.

yankeejeep
11-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Something to keep in mind is that the paid services each tends to have relationships established with specific chains of retails stores and/or hotels. A monthly subscription can make sense if you know you will have fairly ready access to your service in the places you travel.

Sven Johannsen
11-17-2004, 12:11 AM
T-Mobile is also paired with Starbucks, so at $20 a month if you like to read, or Starbucks, your locations are pretty widespread.