View Full Version : Please, Please--I'm begging for some help here...

rdaprix
11-15-2004, 01:23 AM
Bet you haven't seen this one before. Here we go! My hard drive crashed on my dell laptop. Bad. Took all my MS-Money 2004 data with it. Worse.

One saving grace—I have the MS-Money data running on my Pocket PC (It’s an XDA) running Pocket Money.

Here’s the problem—I can’t find a way to get Activesync to blow the data from the pocket PC into MS Money (keep in mind—there’s no backup file for Money on the PC).

Does anyone know a way to sync the pocket PC with the Laptop (that has a new hard drive) and have the PC import the data from the pocket PC? I can’t seem to make it work and neither can Microsoft.

I will bow down before you if you can figure out how to do this. It just won’t take the data from the pocket PC and use it in money.

Any and all ideas welcome. I really, really, don’t want to lose all of my transactions and tax data and spend the next four months reconstructing and manually keyboarding four years of transaction from checkbook ledgers.

I’m desperate. Please help.

JPD6825
11-15-2004, 04:13 AM
Do you have the capability to export the data from Pocket Money... say to an Excel file (or files)? You could then probably import it into the desktop version of Money from the XL file. Obviously I don't really know the answer to your troubles but at least an imagination. Good Luck.

christak
11-15-2004, 04:51 AM
I can't really help you, but if you can backup your XDA -- do so now -- before you start trying things to transfer your data back to the PC... Most Outlook related data transfers from the populated PPC to the unpopulated PC app without issue (provided you have a "new" partnership) -- I really don't know what Pocket Money (and PC Money) do...
:(

famousdavis
11-15-2004, 05:29 AM
Whenever you do figure out your immediate problem, I suggest using a service like @Backup (http://www.backup.com). I backup my Money file automatically every night for about $20 or $25 a year. I've had need to restore only a very few times, but as you now know, the ability to restore from a good backup is extremely important.

rdaprix
11-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Guys...

Thanks--I've tried thsoe ideas and have a Maxtor external hard drive for future backup. I am unaware of any way to export from Pocket Money to any other format but am all ears if you have a way... any ideas?

bmurphy
11-17-2004, 09:16 AM
This may be a stupid idea... but I had to go and look up XDA, and after some reading ... it depends on what you have ..XDA or XDA II ? If you have a SDIO slot, could you not just move your money data to the SDIO card, and then use a SDIO card reader on the PC, and get the data on that way?

yankeejeep
11-17-2004, 01:17 PM
This may be a stupid idea... but I had to go and look up XDA, and after some reading ... it depends on what you have ..XDA or XDA II ? If you have a SDIO slot, could you not just move your money data to the SDIO card, and then use a SDIO card reader on the PC, and get the data on that way?

As far as I know, the two require AS to perform data conversion so they can share information. They aren't data-identical and desktop Money can't directly open a Pocket Money data file.

rdaprix
11-17-2004, 02:53 PM
It does require ActiveSync in order to share information, and the data files do seem to be different—I infer the latter from the fact that the data files in MS Money are .mny files or for backup .mbf files. When I browse the Pocket PC (It’s an XDA-II) the data is in the application database folder and is locked as a read only file—can’t copy or move it or unlock it—and is listed only as ‘type’ database (presumably .dbf though the PPC gives little specific information in that regard.

I’ve tried syncing with the Jan. 16-2004 data file and with no data file hoping it would read the PDA database, but so far no luck. Microsoft doesn’t seem able to help.

It’s looking like I need to go back and get paper statements for the past year and manually keyboard enter every transaction from January to the present if I am to have any hope of having usable data here. God, how awful. I can’t believe there’s no way to extract that data that’s right in front of me!

Now, here’s a developer app I would pay good money for.

JimPAQ
11-18-2004, 04:21 AM
I think this may have been the same problem that I ran into when I upraded to Money 2004. As I recall, after you install Money 2004 on your desktop computer, you can reinstall Money 2004 PPC on your PPC. Then it will add Money back in to your ActiveSync, and syncronize the data back from your PDA to the Desktop computer. Of course, I would do a full backup of the PDA before doing this, just to be safe. Good luck.

--Jim