View Full Version : Pocket PC's for a younger generation.

od1
11-14-2004, 09:06 PM
After a little time in the spotlight showing off my Axim to a group of a people the other day, I had a "kid" ask me what kind of things a pocket pc offers to younger consumers... After explaining using it as a music player, a movie player and a mini gaming console I was soon out of sales pitch ideas.

Pocket PC's are extremely handy things in my opinion, and I have no doubt that you all agree with me. But when it comes down to it, other than the 3 pointers I already mentioned, how do pocket pc's appeal to the "non old-fart" generation? Are there things I've missed? I realize pocket pc's are still in early development stages, (not sure exactly what generation we're on right now) but still...

Ideas anyone?

Raynne
11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Well, I'm not really a kid anymore but am not in the old fart category either (being almost 23). However, I use my PPC for pretty much everything. I use it to keep track of my classes at the University, what books I need for what class, when assignments are due, exam dates, etc. I use it for my address book to keep up with names, phone numbers, and email addresses. I read books on it (I probably have over 100 ebooks). I also bought a graphing calculator and a financial calculator application for it. And, of course, I play games, watch movies (mainly Shrek), and listen to music. I also have an astronomy program, which was not only great, but free. I also have a program to keep up with more personal things. I have an alarm clock program that I use constantly because I have to get up at different times everyday (unfortunately, the alarm has ceased to function recently). I also use Pocket Excel to keep up with my scholarship hours and how many I have left to do. I use the calendar to keep up with any appointments I have, whether it is with a doctor or my graduation advisor. To be completely honest, I would be lost without it. :)

David Prahl
11-15-2004, 05:54 AM
I'm probably closer to the 'kid' category at 18. I had a Palm during sophomore and half of junior year of High School, then a Pocket PC since. Besides the music/games area, I used my devices a dozen times a day to check my schedule and scribble notes. Keeping track of homework, too - I went a whole year with a digital homework tracker app. (Look under the articles for my review of "The Dog Ate It").

What is a 'kid'? I don't think anyone younger than 13 or 14 should have an expensive piece of electronics to begin with.

billa_gordon
11-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Ive been a pocket pc user since I was 14, when I got an 02 XDA. I agree with David prahl MOST people are not very responsible with their property at that age, however I just sold my phone for a respectable amount of money. Anyway I am 16, I use my pocket pc phone for making calls, sms, email, mp3 player (1Gb card :D ), movies, homework, games, graphic calculator (spacetime are doing a great deal for the best graphic calc around) and calander. I am waiting for the 02 XDA IIs to come out and I am struggling to keep up without my XDA :( .

IpaqMan2
11-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Maybe this is just my opinion, but people who tend to buy PDAs whether it be Palm OS or Pocket PCs just for the WOW factor tends to leave the PDA scene quicker than others who use their PDAs.

What I mean by the WOW factor is, buying a PDA to use soley as an MP3 player, a portable Video player, and a miniture gaming console. Other things that I feel could also fall into the WOW factor is using PDAs soley as a portable ebook reader and or using a WiFi PDA to only browse the internet while at home, but can understand the justification for the latter 2 as their currently aren't other portable devices being market by the mass that can do these. As for the other three reasons above, there currently are better dedicated devices and usually cheaper that can be used as a portable music player, portable video player, and even a portable gaming console.

At least for me.... I see PDAs as an answer to a problem or a need. Such as keeping your life organized through PIM information, business contacts, carrying documentations and referrences, school schedules, and other business related needs such as the employee at my local Walmart who uses a PPC for the specific purpose of connecting the site's WiFi and reseting the cash registers when one of them goes down.. Anyone who would use a PDA for any of their "needs" would welcome any of the Perks or WOW factors that come along with the PDA. When I am questioned by other people about my PDA that usualy is the directions I go when explaining to them why I use them or why anyone else may want or consider one.

FrozenIpaq
11-20-2004, 11:44 PM
I find my PPC very useful at the age of 14-15 (14 when i got it and 15 now). I use it for all my tasks (homework), many games, not so much internet wise, very good for writing reports on in school with keyboard, and sometimes can be used as a good drawing tool.

Darius Wey
11-21-2004, 04:16 AM
It could appeal in a number of ways:

Work/Study-Related: You can store eBooks, notes, dictionaries, etc.

Media-Related: Listen to music (they even have mobile DJ programs out there :P ), watch videos (especially DivX - that always appeals ;) ), look at their pictures

Games: Self-explanatory

Management: Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, etc. - I can tell you now that everyone prefers everything digitalised these days. Who wants to carry a bulky loose-sheet paper-based diary when you could have everything in a nice electronic interface? ;)

GPS: The idea of GPS navigation and linking their contacts' addresses to maps (e.g. Pocket Streets functionality) is always a turn-on. :P

Mobile Printing: Another idea that appeals to people

Mobile Internet: There's always the appeal of being able to browse the internet, check email and log on to IM networks on a mobile device

There are a lot more other features of a Pocket PC that can well and truly appeal to the younger generation. I know of 3 people who went and bought an MP3 player, until I told them that they should have got a Pocket PC instead and fitted it with a large memory card. I can tell you now that they have never looked back. ;)

Cybrid
11-22-2004, 08:06 PM
WiFi and IM, :lol:
My kid sis is becoming quite the wardriving Insta-message maniac.

Uh...I guess some homework and stuff too :roll: