View Full Version : Ipaq 3835 - need info. on wireless connectivity

rcknrbn
11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm somewhat e-lit-er-ate on the topic of wireless connectivity regarding pocket pcs. I have an Ipaq 3835 which I synchronize with my home PC. When away from home, I have a cable that I purchased from Gomadic to connect the 3835 via my Motorola cell phone to dial into my internet provider in order to synchronize, get emails, etc.

I'm looking for information on how to connect via a wireless connection. I'm trying to find links to articles, other postings, etc. that have some basic information.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Jason Dunn
11-14-2004, 06:10 PM
The reason you're having trouble finding how-to articles on this is that, honestly, that method isn't used very often any more. I remember doing it three of four years ago, but I have no clue how I set it up exactly because it was so long ago (in the tech world three years is an eternity).

In Connection Manager when you're setting up a new connection, isn't there an option for GSM Modem or something? I think that's what you'd use...but then there's the dialing strings and all that voodoo, which can be a nightmare to figure out.

buzzard
11-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Most of the connection information is available at the Gomadic website under the support area. You will also find more support at "theSupplynet.com" website and if you do a search at Howardforums.com. I have a 3835 and an LG6000 and connect using a Gomadic cable occasionally. A lot of the connection "stuff" differs between cell phone providers and that's the information that theSupplynet and Gomadic provide.

rcknrbn
11-20-2004, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. Actually, I'm about to replace my current cell phone with a phone that has both infared and bluetooth abilities.

With that in mind, I was wondering if I could synchronize to the old Ipaq 3835 via infared? Also, I read somewhere about being able to add a bluetooth card for the 3835. If I added it, I assume I would be able to communicate via this means between the cell phone and the Ipaq. However, I would still like to find any articles/links on how to accomplish this.

I love the idea of getting rid of cables.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

The toothbrush was invented right here in Mississippi. Anywhere else, it would have been called a 'teethbrush'!

Lex
12-12-2004, 07:57 PM
I still use an iPAQ 3845 and recall the $60 Motorola cable that makes many Moto. cell phones act as wireless modems. Top speed (with wind at your back running downhill towards the cell tower) is said to be 14.4kbps.

I never tried it. What if someone sent me a little graphic on an email? ZZZzzzz.