View Full Version : New to pocket PC's, need advice on buying one

AceRimmer
11-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I've been considering buying a pocket pc for awhile.

The things im looking for are:

400+ MHz processor
64MB SDRAM+
640X480 resolution (VGA)
CF Slot
Windows Mobile 2003
WI-FI

I want to be able to take notes, connect to a wireless home network and browse the web + check mail + msn messenger, play a few games etc..

I quite like the look of the Asus MyPal A730 but it doesnt have wi-fi, can anyone suggest alternatives?

AceRimmer
11-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Just found the Dell Axim X50v which basically does everything I want. But any comments would still be appreciated.

Is it likely the price of the dell x50v will come down anytime soon?

Jason Dunn
11-14-2004, 06:25 PM
The X50 is a great Pocket PC, but since it's new I wouldn't expect the price to come down any time soon. There are coupons that you can use every now and then...

famousdavis
11-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Just found the Dell Axim X50v which basically does everything I want. But any comments would still be appreciated.

Is it likely the price of the dell x50v will come down anytime soon?

The X50 is a great choice -- I've got the X50v, and am very happy with it. I had purchased Dell's X30 firstly, but returned it almost immediately after opening it -- it just didn't feel good in my hand. The X50v, OTOH, feels very comfortable. The VGA screen is really spectacular. When I've used my older iPAQ 1910, the screen on that seems wretched comparitively.

I've liked my iPAQ, and I would have bought another iPAQ except HP's value-per-dollar-spent is much worse than Dell's right now.

AceRimmer
11-15-2004, 03:16 PM
I went into a computer store today and tried the hp rx3715, they had a hx4700 but it seemed to have crashed.

I read in a review the x50 is abit slow opening applications and struggles to multitask, say listenining to mp3's and using word, is this true?

My final question is it possible for the software to convert your notes into text? When I had a go at note writing it was abit messy.

applejosh
11-15-2004, 03:55 PM
My final question is it possible for the software to convert your notes into text? When I had a go at note writing it was abit messy.

I'm also in the evaluating stages of picking my next PPC. (My almost 2 yr old iPAQ 3955 doesn't hold a charge like it used to.) While I don't think there is any bundled software on the Axim (at least none I've read about) that will convert hand written notes to text, you can look at the features of a PhatPad/Calligrapher combo which claims to do this. I've tried it, and it works OK, but I do have a bit of editing to do on the text. I have absolutely terrible handwriting (must have been a doctor in a previous life), so I expected this. The downside of this combo is that you can't demo the conversion process unless you have a registered version of Calligrapher. But using the demo version of Calligapher, you can get an idea of how it translates your handwriting (by using it instead of the on screen keyboard that is).

AceRimmer
11-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Excellent the more I find out about PPC's the more I want one :D .

Andy Whiteford
11-15-2004, 04:13 PM

I'm also in the evaluating stages of picking my next PPC. (My almost 2 yr old iPAQ 3955 doesn't hold a charge like it used to.) While I don't think there is any bundled software on the Axim (at least none I've read about) that will convert hand written notes to text, you can look at the features of a PhatPad/Calligrapher combo which claims to do this. I've tried it, and it works OK, but I do have a bit of editing to do on the text. I have absolutely terrible handwriting (must have been a doctor in a previous life), so I expected this. The downside of this combo is that you can't demo the conversion process unless you have a registered version of Calligrapher. But using the demo version of Calligapher, you can get an idea of how it translates your handwriting (by using it instead of the on screen keyboard that is).

If you select Transcriber as your input method, then this will translate your handwriting into text. It may take a little time and patience to get rewarding results but it is good at what it does and is actually a licensed cut down version of Calligrapher and comes as part of the Windows Mobile OS.
The Dell Axim X50v seems like the best overall purchase at the moment if you are wanting a VGA device although this does depends on your specific needs however it will do all you have listed.
Oh and I would get yourself a nice Red Dwarf theme to brighten up your today screen if you buy one! ;)

famousdavis
11-15-2004, 05:44 PM
I read in a review the x50 is abit slow opening applications and struggles to multitask, say listenining to mp3's and using word, is this true?

I can listen to MP3s and use Pocket Word...with the CPU turned down to just 208Mhz. At that slowest speed, the MP3s play fine, and the only slowness is switching tasks or opening a file. Cranking the CPU to full speed resolves the slowness issue (for me).