View Full Version : Problem: Missing Category in Contacts

Steve Jordan
11-14-2004, 03:47 AM
I've recently had a problem, following an unexpected powerloss that required a full restore on my Toshiba e330. (Note: Backups are goood.)

Although I've restored all of my contacts, I cannot recreate a Business category on the 330. I have 3 other working categories for contacts, created in Outlook, and the business contacts display in the "all" category. When I go into "add category," I can type in "business," but when I click the OK button, it is not added to the other 3 categories.

Sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions?

Jason Dunn
11-14-2004, 06:35 PM
I think there's a bug when adding categories on the Pocket PC - try adding it in Outlook and it should sync across.

ctmagnus
11-14-2004, 08:41 PM
I've never had an issue with this. The only thing that needs to be done is to add the category to Outlook's master category list on the desktop, if you want to make it available to other Outlook items.

One thing to note is that I use Pocket Informant as my Pocket PC pim and haven't manipulated categories on the Pocket PC via the built-in pim apps in years. But try what Jason said, as if you just want to add the one category it'll save you the price of Pocket Informant.

Steve Jordan
11-15-2004, 01:02 AM
That's the thing: I already added the business category to Outlook, and the contacts are in there under the business category. But when I sync from Outlook to PPC, the business category simply disappears on the PPC! They come up on the PPC when you select "all contacts," but not when you select "no categories." :confused totally:

Steve Jordan
11-16-2004, 04:26 AM
I've created a new category in Outlook: "Biz". Then, in Outlook, I moved my business contacts out of the Business category and into Biz. The 330 accepted the new category fine upon sync, and my contacts are properly listed.

Except, I don't know why it still won't accept the Business category.

ctmagnus
11-16-2004, 04:36 AM
At this point, I'd give dbView (http://www.ipaqsoft.net/php/trackclick.php?link=http://www.pocketpcsoft.net/zips/dbview.zip&id=299) (freeware) a try. It'll list all the databases on the Pocket PC and let you edit them if you're feeling dangerous. Check to see if the Business category even exists on the Pocket PC, and if it does then I'm thoroughly stumped. Alternatively, you may be able to create it manually if it doesn't.