View Full Version : I'm in trouble now! New toy lust has struck again.

stoic
11-13-2004, 07:16 PM
I was getting all lusty for the Axim x50v but have switched over to the hx4705. I own a Ipaq h5555 and have never been quite happy with it. When I'm out and about I would like to access the internet once in awhile but the h5555 really sucks for reading web pages, otherwise I'm happy with the other features.

I don't want to say price is meaningless, but I will sacrifice more $$$ if I don't have to compromise too much on the features I want.

Man, a trip to CompUSA is really niggling at the base of my brain. I could save ordering it online but I also could have it in hand within the hour.

Arrrrrgh!

ADBrown
11-13-2004, 08:44 PM
What's drawing you to the 4700? In my opinion, it's actually inferior to the X50v in several ways.

christak
11-13-2004, 09:03 PM
What's drawing you to the 4700? In my opinion, it's actually inferior to the X50v in several ways.

I agree, especially after reading some posts regarding speed in opening TextMaker and PlanMaker -- 3 to 8 times slower than on my 2210???

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34238&start=30 :(

jimski
11-14-2004, 05:57 AM
I can only compare my hx4705 to my 5450, but I have to say it's got to be at least twice as fast and that's with all apps (except Today Screen plugins) loaded onto iPAQ File Store.

stoic
11-14-2004, 04:41 PM
It depends on what you're used to and what you value most. To me speed on certain apps is secondary to a big screen to see web pages. Plus, the esthetics of the design is superior to every pda in this catagory.

I balance esthetics and underlying quality in my choice.

ADBrown
11-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Plus, the esthetics of the design is superior to every pda in this catagory.

To each their own. I personally find the design of the 4700 to be horrible. It has no style, no ergonomics, and the directional controls are unusable.

disconnected
11-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I don't think the 4700 is ugly, exactly, but after having it for a week, if it's not in its case, there's still about a 40% chance that I'll pick it up upside down. :)

I'm still not used to the touchpad. I haven't been able to easily turn pages in books since the 3970; with the 5500, I often turned several pages at once, and I'm not any more successful with the 4700 -- I'm just as likely to go backwards or nowhere at all.

ignar
11-15-2004, 06:25 PM
I have a 4700, and it looks better than what it looks on pictures. But, I still prefer iPaq 4150 or X50V styles.
As for speed, it's not a real fast device. Don't get fooled by CPU clocks. It is definitely slower than 4150 which I still have around. I see waiting icons much more frequently with 4700. Connecting to the Wifi network, launching a program, closing a program all require a little bit of delays while in 4150, most of those actions are instant. 4700 is still a nice device and especially so for its gorgeous screen. I may recommend 4700 if it is $150 cheaper and has an option to have a D-pad instead of a touchpad.

Deus
11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
I also have a 5555 and now have a Dell X50v. Besides the battery life this is the best PPC I have come in contact with. Nothing negative to say, besides battery.

ipaq_wannabe
11-15-2004, 10:59 PM
would anyone here at PPCT post a good review regarding the RX4700-series?

ive read a review around at the gadgeteer, and except for price and the touchpad (if i remember correctly); the authors were just "all stars" for the device...

say, something like actual benchmark performance, battery life tests, etc. etc.

and not individually, but compared to previous (but popular) models like the axims, etc.

*just a thought*

ADBrown
11-16-2004, 03:47 AM

ive read a review around at the gadgeteer, and except for price and the touchpad (if i remember correctly); the authors were just "all stars" for the device...

and not individually, but compared to previous (but popular) models like the axims, etc.

*just a thought*

I'll have a review up in a day or so that will have benchmarks and battery tests. I can offer a link if you'd like.

ipaq_wannabe
11-16-2004, 05:27 AM

*just a thought*

I'll have a review up in a day or so that will have benchmarks and battery tests. I can offer a link if you'd like.

that would be much appreciated

thanks!!!

ADBrown
11-17-2004, 03:31 AM
Done and done.

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2301

ipaq_wannabe
11-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Done and done.

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2301

okay... time for a little reading...