View Full Version : IPAQ HX400 + Phone Vs. Imate PDA2K

mike_mullen
11-13-2004, 12:34 AM
I have a new PDA2K from imate (also known as the XDAIIs MDA III, QTEK 9090 amongst others). On a recent trip to Toronto I could not resist picking up an HX4700 on my credit card.

I've been using both now for about 2 weeks, but I need to make a decision. My wife says one has to go on eBay. I agree I can't keep 2 devices on the go.

I'm looking for some thoughts from you HX4700 users to help me make my decision.

a) HX4700 + Orange SPV C500
For: The gorgeous screen, wifi, bluetooth
Against: No phone functionality built in

b) Imate PDA2K
For: Phone functionality
Against: poorer screen, phone and bluetooth issues

Any help would be appreciated

Regards,
Mike

surur
11-13-2004, 01:03 AM
I cant help you with your decision, but am currently facing the same problem. Ive got an XDA 2 at the moment.

My choice is to

1) get an XDA IIs (PDA2K) GPRS WIFI 128Mb ram VGA camera QVGA screen, Keyboard

2) Get a Bluetooth 3G mobile phone and a Loox 720 (3G data speeds, WIFI, 128Mb ram, 1.3Megapixel camera, VGA screen, consumer IR, USB Host)

Unfortunately I have gotten very used to carrying only one device (and my bluetooth headset). Unfortunately the PE devices are progressing too slowly for my liking, and I would like some new features (especially wifi, CIR and VGA).

Choices choices....

Surur

globaloffice
11-13-2004, 02:29 AM
As a hx4700 owner I can't see giving it up! :|

-Roger

Monty Gibson
11-13-2004, 02:51 AM
I'm looking for some thoughts from you HX4700 users to help me make my decision.

Mike,

I just sold my MDA II on eBay. I sold it with a Wi-Fi card 3 SD cards and a Vaja case. I received 450.00 for it. Why am I selling it? Well, here are a few pointers that I hope I can help you with to make your decision easier:

The MDA (and previous versions and later versions) are nice, it's a one piece package, but that's also a problem. If the Pocket PC locks then you have to soft reset the phone as well. For me, this has caused great heartaches.

Next, the phone capabilities are not that great yet on a converged device, sometimes the buttons would freeze during a call and more often than not would require yet another soft reset.

When I'm traveling to the local home improvement store to pick up a few items I fear of taking my MDA II with me as I am afraid it will become scratched or I will drop it; where as a phone is much more portable and you don't have to put this screen up to your ear and get face grease all over the screen.

One could argue that you could use a bluetooth enabled headset. True, but you'd still have to bring your Pocket PC with you and having a headset and a Pocket PC is still two devices.

The two device option also affords you a longer battery life out of your phone and Pocket PC by not having them combined. I will keep my phone in my pocket and my Pocket PC on my hip with an aluminum case. I plan on purchasing the hx4700 tomorrow with a 2 gigabyte SanDisk Ultra II SD card and a 1 gig SD card as a backup.

I hope this help you. I've never been a "two piece guy" before, but I am grateful that now I've made up my mind to switch.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

jimski
11-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Could not have said it better myself. Way to go Monty :D

Monty Gibson
11-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Could not have said it better myself. Way to go Monty :D

Thank you :clap:. It really is the best route to take. I like the idea of a converged device and have been using one since the MDA I. But I'm so loathsome of the lock-ups.

Monty Gibson

surur
11-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Is it possible you had some configuration problems? Ive had some trouble with my XDA2, but not half as much as you seem to be having.

Pocketpc phones do need more care and maintenance, but it usually comes with some rewards, especially consolidating your gadget burden.

If I go 2 device, I will actually go 3 device, as I will always carry my bluetooth headset, to use in the car. I see visions of the batman utility belt again.

Surur

Monty Gibson
11-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Is it possible you had some configuration problems? Ive had some trouble with my XDA2, but not half as much as you seem to be having.

Pocketpc phones do need more care and maintenance, but it usually comes with some rewards, especially consolidating your gadget burden.

If I go 2 device, I will actually go 3 device, as I will always carry my bluetooth headset, to use in the car. I see visions of the batman utility belt again.

Surur

No, I don't believe I'm having configuration problems. Just the normal hiccups that comes along with having a phone on a computer. The nature of the Pocket PC/Phone combination should be one where the phone should be separate should an emergency arise. I would hate to think that I would be "locked up" and had to soft reset in case of an emergency, and that's already happened once. Not again. The only thing I have to worry about on my Nokia 6600 is the battery life which lasts for days on end. I think if one was to really have the "ultimate setup" it would be a a top-of-the-line smartphone coupled with a top-of-the-line Pocket PC; which ever one you choose.

Thank you,
Monty Gibson