View Full Version : Cannot open remote file with File Explorer, why ?

The PocketTV Team
11-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't understand why the Pocket PC File Explorer does not allow opening remote files (located on a shared networked PC).

I can select the remote files and copy them locally on my Pocket PC, then open them, but that's not what I want! For example, if I have a very large file (e.g. a video file) on the networked PC, I want to be able to open it from its remote location and play it directly on the Pocket PC, through the wireless network.

Why isn't this possible ?

Here is the simplest scenario to reproduce the problem:

1) Start File Explorer on the Pocket PC. The Pocket PC must have a network connection, and there should be a networked PC with some shared documents.

2) assuming that my PC is called "mypc" and that it has a shared folder called "SharedDocs" (the default with XP), I tap the "Network Share" in File Explorer and I enter \\mypc . I enter the user name and password needed to access the networked PC, and File Explorer lists the folder "SharedDocs". Note that if you use XP, the user must have a password set in order to access shared files from the network.

3) Open "SharedDocs", then "My Pictures", then "Sample Pictures", and you will see a couple of JPEG files listed (sample files installed by default by XP).

4) Tap on any of those files, nothing happens... normally they should get opened by the JPEG viewer on your Pocket PC.

5) You can tap-and-hold those files, then COPY, then go to a local folder and PASTE, the file will be copied locally.. This proves that the files can be accessed just fine. Then the copy can be opened.

So, why can't those files be opened directly by File Explorer ?

Is there a way to work around this problem ?

Sven Johannsen
11-13-2004, 02:54 AM
That has been a limitation of File Explorer since day one. My guess would be that the scenario envisioned the PPC as being a remote partner to the PC, with transient connectivity. The expectation would be that you would want to copy the file to your Portable so you could take it with you. If you were close enough to maintain a continuous connection, why not just access the file from a desktop. That's just my guess.

Is there a workaround? Yes, several. Netrunner is a freeware option that adds open-in-place capability. Resco File Explorer has provided a much more friendly network experience, including openning network files for years.

If you are interested in media files, Media Player has the ability to support streaming media, which of course must be delivered by a streaming server. Windows Media Encoder is such a server available free from Microsoft. Incidentally, opening a network resident media file with a file explorer is not streaming and much more subject to network conditions than a streaming server/client delivery.

The PocketTV Team
11-13-2004, 03:03 AM
> That has been a limitation of File Explorer since day one.

Yes, but the times have changed. Now almost every new Pocket PC comes with WiFi, and connectivity is ubiquitous.

> If you were close enough to maintain a continuous connection, why not just access the file from a desktop. That's just my guess.

You may have WiFi connectivity, this does not mean that the server you are connected to is anywhere nearby.

> Is there a workaround? Yes, several. Netrunner is a freeware option that adds open-in-place capability. Resco File Explorer has provided a much more friendly network experience, including openning network files for years.

Yes, I know... but since there are so many workarounds, MSFT should wakeup to the fact that this is a needed feature, and they should enable opening networked files from the File Explorer. It's probably just one line of code to add (or to un-comment) somewhere!

> If you are interested in media files, Media Player has the ability to support streaming media, which of course must be delivered by a streaming server. Windows Media Encoder is such a server available free from Microsoft. Incidentally, opening a network resident media file with a file explorer is not streaming and much more subject to network conditions than a streaming server/client delivery.

Yes, naturally, I know all that. PocketTV also can stream from http and can play from networked files.

But opening networked files is more general than just streaming media. In many cases you may want to open Word files, PDF, Images, etc, and your files may be in a networked folder, but not available on an HTTP server.

Really, I think it is time that the File Explorer enable opening networked files. If there is a good reason to not enable that, I would like to hear it (from MSFT!!!).

dean_shan
11-13-2004, 03:09 AM
You can also make a short-cut of the file on your PPC. When you open the short-cut your PPC will stream it. You make a short cut by tap-and-hold the file, choose copy. Then go to a local directory on your PPC then tap-and-hold, select 'paste short-cut'.

The PocketTV Team
11-13-2004, 03:31 AM
Yes, and NetUse works fine (but a bit of a pain to enter network paths, and I could not get the browse feature to work on my system).

But I maintain that File Explorer should be able to open networked files directly, without having to do all those contortions!

We are in the 21rst century, and that's a networked world!!!

Sven Johannsen
11-13-2004, 05:59 AM
So your original post wasn't why, what am I doing wrong, or why, what is the technical reason? It was really why hasn't MS implemented that, and you didn't want the answer from anyone but MS. Why didn't you just say that?

I don't think you are going to get an explanation, beyond the obvious, or what is supposable. I imagine the requirement does not fit into the MS view of what the majority of people do with their PPCs. There are effective alternatives, and there are limited resources (believe it or not) to change it. Given that, the implementation is likely low on the list.

From my point of view that's fine. I'd prefer the resources be thrown against the alarm bug, the Pocket Office roundtrip issue, the effectiveness of the memory manager, folder support in Pocket Outlook, even an equalizer in Media Player, before they tackle opening files directly on a network drive. There are tons of issues, requests, desires and dreams, out there.

Even if MS responded with a reason, I'd be willing to bet a vocal percentage wouldn't like it, or agree with it. So for this, just accept it. As a developer, you actually have a bit better avenue to complain about it, and if it changes, you'll be one of the first outside of MS to know. Trying to embarass them in a forum isn't going to carry much weight.

The PocketTV Team
11-13-2004, 07:27 AM
> Given that, the implementation is likely low on the list.

The implementation probably requires no more than ONE line of code!!!

File Explorer knows how to open a file based on its extension (and file association from the registry). So there is no technical difficulty in passing the file path to the application, just like if it was a local file.

> So for this, just accept it.

That's not a very constructive position.

> Trying to embarass them in a forum isn't going to carry much weight.

When MSFT takes bad design decisions or mistakes, I see nothing wrong in pointing them out in public forums. We have been vocal on many issues in the past, and in some cases, the result have been positive.

Sven Johannsen
11-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Well that's fine, but that was not the tone of your original post.
I don't understand why the Pocket PC File Explorer does not allow opening remote files
Yes you do. it isn't written into the capabilities of Explorer.
Why isn't this possible ?
You know very well that it is.
Is there a way to work around this problem ?
You know about these as well.

If your point was that it is about time MS got on the stick and changed it (note I did not say fixed it), then say so. Don't make it sound like you discovered this great omission. As far as one line of code goes, maybe you do things that way, but large software development companies don't just pop a change in without a process, that includes evaluation of what other ramifications that would have, cost/benefit analysis, and all manner of management hoohaa. I'm sure you as a developer of media player software have some vested interest in your customers being able to click on a network mpeg and launch PocketTV. So write a network browser into PocketTV.

To me not having the capability in MSs Explorer is such a minor nitnoy. Only time I even open that thing is to answer a new user question. And I usually end the answer with replace it with something that works better, more like what you expect, etc. To me even if effort was levied at File Explorer, I'd rather they added columns for file type, date created, etc. and a split window, before messing with opening network files. But that's my opinion, as yours is yours.

The PocketTV Team
11-13-2004, 05:49 PM
> Don't make it sound like you discovered this great omission.

I just discovered that shortcoming in File Explorer.

I have always known other ways to open networked files, e.g. directly from applications, or from NetRunner etc, but I never realized until now that the File Explorer was not able to open those files!

> I'm sure you as a developer of media player software have some vested interest in your customers being able to click on a network mpeg and launch PocketTV.

Of course :)

> So write a network browser into PocketTV.

That's not a very smart suggestion... are you suggesting that every application that could benefit from opening networked files (i.e. most applications I know!) should duplicate the work of writing a network browser, to work around a stupid shortcoming in the File Explorer ???

> To me not having the capability in MSs Explorer is such a minor nitnoy.

Maybe... but maybe if it was there, you would use it more often. Naturally, a more user-friendly way of browsing the network to mount servers would also be welcome in File Explorer...

> To me even if effort was levied at File Explorer, I'd rather they added columns for file type, date created, etc. and a split window, before messing with opening network files. But that's my opinion, as yours is yours.

Yes, I agree that File Explorer is missing some other important features, and I would add: an option to display the file extensions.

Sven Johannsen
11-13-2004, 07:21 PM
I just discovered that shortcoming in File Explorer.
That surprises me. But I would point out that there are so many ways around this that even you hadn't noticed the ommission that has been there since PPC2002 first allowed network file access of any sort. (other than web and connecting to streaming servers)

> So write a network browser into PocketTV..

That's not a very smart suggestion... are you suggesting that every application that could benefit from opening networked files (i.e. most applications I know!) should duplicate the work of writing a network browser, to work around a stupid shortcoming in the File Explorer ???.[/quote]

No, I'm not suggesting it to every developer. Just those that seem to think it is such an issue that it needs to be elevated to major bug status. For most I would suggest letting customers know about Resco or Netrunner or any of the other effective options.

Maybe... but maybe if it was there, you would use it more often..

I doubt that. I have it available with Resco and have had for some time. I rarely want to open a file that is on my network directly from my PPC, when I am sitting in the same location as my network. From a remote location, I would be hesitant to work on an open file over the connection for fear the connection would drop and leave the file open or corrupted. I'd rather copy it, make the changes, reconnect and copy it back. I can't even imagine sitting at Starbucks, connecting to the internet, VPNing into the server and watching a video..not streamed mind you, but just clicked open. Who does that? I have the videos on flash cards and microdrives I have with me. Just takes a little forethought.

So anyway, we all know that is a shortcoming of Pocket Explorer, has been for some time. It's not a bug, it's by design. You and others don't agree with the design decision. I expect there are those that support it, because of the issues opening files remotely can cause. For me and many others, it's not that big a deal. There are options for those that want it.