View Full Version : Ipaq not connecting or Activesyncing

ToddJ
11-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Out of nowhere my Ipaq 4155 is not "connecting" to my computer. When I put it in the cradle, I heard the USB noise like it is connecting, but it my computer says it is not connected, nor does the activesync turn on. The only way to activesync is via wi-fi. any ideas on what might be wrong? I tried doing a soft reset on the PPC and rebooted my computer (WinXP pro)

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Have you considered the following:

(1) Ensuring that the USB port is opened for ActiveSync on the PC. Open ActiveSync on the PC, click on File > Connection Settings, and ensure the USB box is ticked.
(2) Ensuring that your Pocket PC can synchronise via USB. To do this, open ActiveSync on the Pocket PC, tap on Tools > Options, ensure the relevant computer is selected, tap on Options and ensure that USB is selected.
(3) Try soft resetting your Pocket PC and restarting your PC.
(4) Another solution - try reinstalling ActiveSync.

Give those a go and let us know. :D

Jacob
11-12-2004, 05:46 PM
I've seen this happen myself.

Do you have a database tool to delete databases on your device?

I resolved this once by doing the following:

1. Make a complete backup of the device (no matter what so you keep all data).
2. I didn't have dbView installed, so I did a hard reset.
3. I restored all the backup - EXCEPT a few databases

The databases I omitted were a few system databases (i.e. not contacts, appointments or tasks). I believe they were databases such as "\SyncCache" and a couple others. Maybe even the notification queue. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact ones, next time this happens I have to make sure to write down what databases I deleted.

Just make sure you have that complete backup before just in case. They were just a couple databases in that "Other Databases" section in iPAQ Backup that did it though.

ToddJ
11-12-2004, 05:52 PM
I have tried all of Darius' ideas to no avail....might it have something to do with Mem Maid? I recently installed that....

ToddJ
11-12-2004, 06:00 PM
i am really starting to get frustrated by the Ipaq. This is the second time this has happened to me. Before I had to do a hard reset and then it would work....Might there be something on my home computer causing this?

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I have tried all of Darius' ideas to no avail....might it have something to do with Mem Maid? I recently installed that....

Highly unlikely. I haven't heard of any cases of this occurring as a result of MemMaid.

Give Jacob's idea a go, if you're willing to hard reset.

i am really starting to get frustrated by the Ipaq. This is the second time this has happened to me. Before I had to do a hard reset and then it would work....Might there be something on my home computer causing this?

There are a number of computer-based factors that may result in this. Your USB port may not be liking the connection for some reason - this would have to be examined via the drivers. You may have a firewall that may be affecting the ports used by ActiveSync. You may have some corrupt ActiveSync settings in your computer. As you can see, the contributing factors can vary to a great deal.

What version of Windows are you running?

ToddJ
11-12-2004, 06:11 PM
I am using Windows XP Pro (without SP2)

powder2000
11-12-2004, 10:22 PM
You might use the programs called 'killsync' or 'resync'. These are both standalone .exe's that have worked on past AS problems that have come my way.

DinarSoft
11-13-2004, 12:48 AM

Well, MemMaid will not cause a problem like this.
However, MemMaid can help you fix it.

Go to the notification Queue tab (second tab) and click [add...]
in the program type replog.exe
in the event drop down combo-box select "an RS232 connection is made.
now tap [add]

Try now to resync again

ToddJ
11-13-2004, 06:31 AM
I did a hard reset and now it works. I will try those other suggestions if and when it happens again. Thanks for all the help!

ToddJ
12-02-2004, 06:18 AM
Dinarsoft....it happened again, and i tried your advice, but when I clicked 'add' it wouldn't let me add anything. It came up with the error that said 'Error adding notification'.

I'm getting sooooooooooo frustrated by the Pocket PC. It seems i have to wipe out everything every couple of weeks, and have to start from scratch! it is really getting annoying....

DinarSoft
12-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Dinarsoft....it happened again, and i tried your advice, but when I clicked 'add' it wouldn't let me add anything. It came up with the error that said 'Error adding notification'.

I'm getting sooooooooooo frustrated by the Pocket PC. It seems i have to wipe out everything every couple of weeks, and have to start from scratch! it is really getting annoying....
If you get error adding, this is could be because the entry is alredy there.
Can you check the notification list for "replog.exe" ?

ToddJ
12-02-2004, 06:39 AM
argh....now when I try to start from scratch and do a hard reset, it still doesn't work. I try to sync it up to do a new partnership, and it starts syncing and then comes up with a "Connected- Syncronization error" then stops right away. any ideas on what might be wrong? i tried a different USB cable to no avail.

DinarSoft
12-02-2004, 12:48 PM
argh....now when I try to start from scratch and do a hard reset, it still doesn't work. I try to sync it up to do a new partnership, and it starts syncing and then comes up with a "Connected- Syncronization error" then stops right away. any ideas on what might be wrong? i tried a different USB cable to no avail.
Now, if's not working even after a HardReset then the problem might be in your PC side not the PPC.

ToddJ
12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Now it pops up 'USB Device Not Recognized"

ToddJ
12-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Dinarsoft....I found that it already has that entry (repllog.exe) there (however, it is with two Ls and not one...i am not sure if that makes a difference or not.) should I check that entry? or what should I do to it? Thanks!

ToddJ
12-02-2004, 03:40 PM
I tried reinstalling activesync and it still doesn't work. It is coming up with a syncronization error.....

ToddJ
12-02-2004, 04:08 PM
It seems that when I take out the memory card, it will sync. I don't understand why though. That would explain why that when I try to restore the backup from my memory card, it doesn't work right (it would act very, very slow and freeze up.)

ToddJ
12-03-2004, 01:16 AM
any idea what would cause this? it seems like there was something wrong with the memory card causing it to error like that. There was a file called 'ignore my documents'. has anyone seen this before?

DinarSoft
12-03-2004, 01:27 AM
any idea what would cause this? it seems like there was something wrong with the memory card causing it to error like that. There was a file called 'ignore my documents'. has anyone seen this before?

Not sure what the problem with the card is. Maybe it's a good idea to move your stuff of the card and format it, then move your stuff back (It's better if you can do this using your PC)

And about the ignre_my_documents file, It's a normal file created by the OS to ignore this card when it's searching for "my documents" files.

To give you more information, if you run PocketExcel it sees only the files in the main "My document" folder. This is true, however, if you create a folder called "My documents" in any memory card. Now excel will see the files in all the "My document" folders. Except if you have this "ignore_my_documents" file created, then Excel will ignore the "My documents" folder (if it exists) in this memory card.
If you want this "My document" folder on an external card to be seen by Excel you'll have to delete this file.
This is not only for Excel, it is the same thing with Word, Themes, ...etc

kiwiruss
12-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, I guess Im in the same club with USB Device NOT Recognised.

I can synd fins with a serial connection and wes syncing ok with usb till last week when suddenly I get the dreaded USB Device NOT Recognised.

I've tried soft and hard resets as well as uninstalling adn reinstalling activesyns 3.7.1 and 3.7.0.and get the samp issue on my work and home systems.

I've got two other usb sync n charge cables and they both were working ok early last week but now neither them or the cradle will connect via usb.

Im really wanting to get the usb sorted out as serial is slow as heck !

anyone got any ideas ?

Both desktops are winxp sp2 , different manufactorers too.
I've disabled the sp2 firewall but that doesnt help the situation.

anyone got a magic fix out there ?

Is there a driver somewhere so I ca nclick on the unknown device and manually update the driver ?

Darius Wey
12-13-2004, 04:46 PM
You haven't mentioned it so I am going to assume you haven't tried it:

Have you tried another USB port?

kiwiruss
12-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeas, I did try both front and rear usb ports on my dell at work. to no avail. :-(

any other thoughts ?

ToddJ
12-13-2004, 05:05 PM
do you have an SD card? i know it sounds strange, but my sd card got screwed up and caused mine not to sync (or so I think)

kiwiruss
12-13-2004, 05:10 PM
After reading one of your previous posts I did try removing the sdcard but it still came up with device not recognised.

Do you think I should do a hard reset, then remove the sdcard, then try connecting ?

ToddJ
12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Try backing up everything on your SD card and then just erase the SD card..then try to hotsync again. probably won't work, but you never know.

kiwiruss
12-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I'll try when I get home tonight. I dont have a card reader at work and copying it over serial wouldnt be done till tomorrow.

at this stage I'll try almost anything.

I am also looking at the axim x50v., as HP Ipaqs seem to be getting more buggier over time.

Darius Wey
12-14-2004, 03:38 AM
Yeas, I did try both front and rear usb ports on my dell at work. to no avail. :-(

any other thoughts ?

If you really wanted to localise the problem to either (1) your Pocket PC, or (2) your PC, you could consider trying to synchronise your device with another computer if that is possible.