View Full Version : Anyone know the DefaultIcon ID for txtfile?

hamishmacdonald
11-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Anyone know (or can you look in a registry editor and tell me) what the value should be in the "DefaultIcon" registry entry for TXT files?

Thanks!

dlangton
11-12-2004, 06:31 AM
It should be \Windows\pword.exe,-110

hamishmacdonald
11-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, that's not it: that's the value for the OpenDoc key.

The DefaultIcon value should look more like "officeres.dll,-13072", but with a different value.

If you could look again, but in the DefaultIcon key, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Hamish...

I just posted a bit of news on a new program which allows you to manipulate file extensions on the Pocket PC.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34346&highlight=

Just in the nick of time eh? :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just as a side note, I looked in the registry editor and it is indeed pword.exe,-110

hamishmacdonald
11-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I like that program, but unfortunately I still have to know the value to enter into the icon field.

And, really, really, that's not the icon value. That's the value to tell it the program to open text files with. When I enter that value into the DefaultIcon key, I get a generic file icon.

I'm using a LOOX 720 running WM 2003 SE, but I don't think the registry values have changed in that regard.

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 11:42 AM
That is strange. I assume you've soft reset your device to initiate the changes?

Anyway, here are the values for the txtfile entry in the registry:

DefaultIcon: pword.exe,-110
Shell\Open\Command: pword.exe %1
Shell\OpenDoc\Command: pword.exe -opendoc %1

hamishmacdonald
11-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Hmm, okay, first my apologies: you obviously know what you're doing in the registry department.

But unfortunately, that value still brings up a generic icon, even after a soft reset :(

hamishmacdonald
11-12-2004, 11:52 AM
YAY! I got it by trial-and-error:

officeres.dll,-13073

Actually, it seems there are a few alternatives (like your pword.exe) that bring up proper icons. My .DOC icon just went screwy, too.

Phew. I hate looking at things in my system that I know aren't right.

I wouldn't be in there tinkering under the hood, but I installed Phillipe Majerus's wonderful PHM PowerToys, and his NotePad hijacked the text files for itself, only you can't edit in NotePad. In trying to change the "open with" program in PocketTweak, I accidentally cleared the icon field. :roll:

I'm now going to put the registry editor down and walk away, so nobody gets hurt.

Thanks for all your help with this problem.

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Hmm, okay, first my apologies: you obviously know what you're doing in the registry department.

Hah! A hard-core registry department employee for many years. ;)

But unfortunately, that value still brings up a generic icon, even after a soft reset :(

That's a little strange. I suspect something else is manipulating it. I've changed the icon values for the txtfile entry before and it has worked fine for me. The only other thing I could think of is that WM2003SE may use different values since Pocket Word has the new "flashy" icon that WM2003 lacks. Why don't you have a look at the one used for the docfile which I believe is pword.exe,-106. Anyway, whatever value is used on your device, try using that same value for the txtfile entry. I know you'll get a Word document icon, but I would like to see if your icon changes. That way, we can work out whether your txtfile is just being a total pain... or if it's something to do with the icons stored in the pword.exe file.

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 11:58 AM
YAY! I got it by trial-and-error:

officeres.dll,-13073

Haha...okay you beat me to it. Glad to see you got it working. :way to go: