View Full Version : Best settings for resolution in landscape mode in Nydiot for iPAQ4155

Lucutus
11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Does anybody use this with the 4155?

I plan to use it for Textmaker but also PIE. I started fiddling around with the settings of Nydiot but can't get to a setting for the resolution that I really like and where everything is displayed ok.

Anybody?

Darius Wey
11-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Well WM2003 was never really designed to handle landscape all that well, yet if you want to look at the landscape orientation, I'd focus on either a 320x240 res, or a 640x480 res. Anything in between those two limits looks hideous as the display is spread out unevenly across the pixels.

With VGA (640x480), you will have four pixels merged onto the one physical pixel - so it isn't as uneven as something like 480x320 (where the display is spread across half pixels). However, this can make the reading of text difficult.

So IMO, I'd stick with 320x240 on your QVGA screen. But be prepared as some applications and some functions in WM2003 do not support this orientation. Otherwise, 240x320 may still be the best for a QVGA WM2003 device. :)

Lucutus
11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Cheers Darius!
Can I just check something with you:

when I set 320x240 in Nydiot then that will give me what in landscape?
and what happens if I set it to 240x320?

I think you're right, anything else than these resolution will make text too unreadable...

Thanks in advance!

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 07:09 AM
The first number usually relates to the horizontal pixels, whilst the second number relates to the vertical pixels.

So a 240x320 would be in portrait mode (the default display used in Pocket PCs), and 320x240 would be landscape mode.

So in reference to your question:

when I set 320x240 in Nydiot then that will give me what in landscape?

You will get 320 pixels across the horizontal, and 240 across the vertical. However, you have to set the orientation in the program so that your device is held in the horizontal position (flipped 90 degrees to the right or left - depending on whether you're left or right handed). Otherwise, it may try to squish the pixels in the default orientation, which would leave an 80 pixel gap at the bottom of the screen in portrait mode. I hope that made sense. :D

Lucutus
11-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Cheers Darius,

it works ok now with PIE, haven't tried Textmaker, yet (need to install first ;-))

Don't know whether I'll buy Nydiot, though. Just for PIE and Textmaker...

...the other apps I have and the OS really seem to have problems with landscape...

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Don't know whether I'll buy Nydiot, though. Just for PIE and Textmaker...

If you want my honest opinion:

The novelty of it wears off after a period of time. The fact that you have to soft-reset everytime you change the orientation can be a little annoying, and the fact that some features of WM2003 don't natively support landscape makes it another factor that may put you off purchasing the software.

Of course, everyone has different experiences with it, and if you find it very useful, it may be a viable purchase for you.