View Full Version : Just did a clean XP install-- Can I restore to outlook from my hp1945?

STW
11-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Had to re-install XP and look the Outlook data. Now it's up and running and I want to use activesync to repopulate my Outlook from the data on the hp1945. Haven't synced yet nor set up a partnership because I'm trying to make sure the new partnership doesn't delete everything on the ppc.

Any way to do this?

I do have a ppc backup file on disk on another system I can use to restore the ppc if it gets emptied, but I've put some PIM stuff on the ppc since back up and I'd like to save it.

Thanks

Ripper014
11-10-2004, 08:26 AM
The simple answer is yes... you get back some of the data but none of the previous history that would have still been on your Outlook. Next time save a PST file from your Outlook before doing your reformat.

STW
11-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks. So do I set up a new partnership? Does setting up a new partnership detete what's on my hp1945?

yankeejeep
11-10-2004, 10:42 AM
When you connect for the first time, ActiveSync should launch the window asking how you would like to connect. If you would like to do a backup before creating a partnership, connect as guest. Nothing will get synced and you will have access to the AS backup/restore functions. When you're ready to create the partnership, connect and select to create a new partnership. Since you have had a primary partnership before, you will be given the choice of replacing it with a primary partnership with the new installation or creating a secondary partnership. If you wish to sync email, you will need to let it delete your prior primary and create a new one. Since as far as the newly-installed ActiveSync is concerned it has not connected with your device before, it should be happy keeping the existing device name for the partnership. If all goes well, all your current info will go over to Outlook (although I expect the ActiveSync Inbox on your device will get wiped). As noted before, history will not be moved, just current and future items.

Andy Whiteford
11-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Yes, just create a new partnership, you will not lose anything and will be warned that you have not synched data between the two computers before. Select to either combine data on both devices or copy everything from PPC to desktop. You will not lose anything although don't expect to see historic calendar entries before a certain date - this depends on how you had this configured previously. All future entries and contacts etc. should remain.

Stephen Beesley
11-10-2004, 02:24 PM
I had this exact experiene when I re-installed xp on my home PC and could find no way to sync that did not end up with the inbox of my PPC being wiped (over written by the empty Outlook inbox). fortunately I had a backup of my PIM data.

In the end the only way I was able to do this was by downloading the trial version of intellsync and using that to sync my inbox the first tim.

Andy Whiteford
11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
I had this exact experiene when I re-installed xp on my home PC and could find no way to sync that did not end up with the inbox of my PPC being wiped (over written by the empty Outlook inbox). fortunately I had a backup of my PIM data.

In the end the only way I was able to do this was by downloading the trial version of intellsync and using that to sync my inbox the first tim.

Hmmm, not sure about the email as I only keep a couple of days worth and don't sync this back so haven't tried email. I know Notes, calendar contacts copy back just fine. Did it give you the option of combining or copy data in a certain direction? Is email covered by this?

yankeejeep
11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I have only had to do this process once, but I recall that the inbox on the device was wiped. Everything else made the transition and repopulated the databases in Outlook to match the device.