View Full Version : Verizon To Release Audiovox PPC-6600 As XV6600?

Janak Parekh
11-10-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.vzwinfo.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=441' target='_blank'>http://www.vzwinfo.com/modules.php?...article&sid=441</a><br /><br /></div>Readers have constantly been asking if Verizon will ever sell a version of the HTC Harrier. Well, there isn't much detail yet, but hatoncat over at Verizon Wireless Info has the following nugget: <i>"Audiovox today confirmed to us that the Verizon-branded version of their XDAIII, the PPC-6600 will be titled the XV6600. This is to differentiate it from the Sprint version, which will be retailed as PPC-6600."</i><br /><br />No details on timeframe, but the sooner the better. To refresh your memory, this is the CDMA version of the Blue Angel -- with 400MHz processor, 128MB of RAM, slide-out keyboard, and Bluetooth (but no Wi-Fi).

R K
11-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Hey Janak,
Weren't you the one who posted this article?

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32237&highlight=vx8000

Maybe that will give us a time frame for the HTC Harrier?

R K
11-10-2004, 05:22 PM
While we're on the subject, are you planing to upgrade to the Harrier when it comes out?
Right now you're using the Samsung i600 or i700 right?

Janak Parekh
11-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Re timeframe: I meant this article didn't have any. It's just a short post. ;)

While we're on the subject, are you planing to upgrade to the Harrier when it comes out?
I'm going to hold off. I just upgraded from an i700 to an i600, and am happy enough with it. In particular, I'm not as interested in the Harrier because it doesn't have a VGA screen. The i600 + e805 is a solid combo for me. In addition, Verizon's 1xEV-DO coverage isn't extensive enough just yet.

--janak

R K
11-10-2004, 05:36 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what made you switch from a one-piece convergent device to a two piece combo?

Besides the obvious factor of the VGA screen on the e805, what benefits did you lose/gain by going the two device route?

Sorry if the question seems redundant. I know that the two vs one piece debate has been beaten to death but I wanted to hear your opinion on the matter.

Janak Parekh
11-10-2004, 05:52 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what made you switch from a one-piece convergent device to a two piece combo?
Because I had a lamer combo before -- the i700 and the e805. As to why I got the e805 in the first place, it's because the i700 was a slow unit, only QVGA, no integrated WiFi. I retired the i700 because its battery was wearing out (after a year-and-a-half) and I didn't want to invest more money in the device.

Also, it's nice to have a one-handable device again as a phone instead of the i700, which is fairly clumsy to pull out of my pocket when it's ringing. MS has also done some very nice UI work on the Smartphone to make it surprisingly useable despite the device's constraints. Finally, the i600 is a flip phone. I don't need a case or anything, which is my biggest problem with the Pocket PC Phones from a formfactor standpoint.

Also, I like to get shiny new things. :mrgreen:

Besides the obvious factor of the VGA screen on the e805, what benefits did you lose/gain by going the two device route?
I haven't gone the two device route in the traditional manner. The Smartphone is good enough PIMwise and emailwise for me (i.e., I do mostly read on the device), and Opera on the Smartphone is quite good for casual webbrowsing. The e805 is for games, heavier websurfing, wordprocessing, RepliGo and the like. Finally, my laptop handles everything above that. So I'm more of a three device guy? ;)

I'm going to make a frontpage THOUGHT on the subject when I get a chance, but I haven't had time as of late to put all my thoughts together. Feel free to ask more if you want.

--janak

R K
11-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer, Janak.

Recently, I had the opportunity to upgrade to the HTC Blue Angel. and I have to say that I think I found my perfect convergent device.

Microsoft made a lot of improvements in WM2003SE for one-handed use which was a surprise since I didn't hear anyone talking about it. For instance, now you can navigate through the Today screen with the D-pad instead of the stylus. You can also "Smart Minimize" your programs by pressing the End call button, or you can assign the "OK/Close" task to a programmable button.

I also like the HTC Blue Angel because finally, an ODM came out with a phone edition that's good for gaming. The Blue Angel's got to be the PPC with the most buttons by far, eight programmable buttons in all.

The decently fast 400MHz XScale with the ATI Imageon 3200 means that there aren't any trade-offs on the PDA side either. Anyway, all that's to say, I really like this device.

silver99
11-10-2004, 06:52 PM
400MHz is starting to get a little old-in-the-tooth. Sure it suffices for most PDA tasks but very little innovation will take place when we still keep pumping out these slower machines.

I long for the day of a 1 Ghz PDA and by then I'll be longing for a 2 Ghz PDA.

R K
11-10-2004, 07:01 PM
400MHz is starting to get a little old-in-the-tooth. Sure it suffices for most PDA tasks but very little innovation will take place when we still keep pumping out these slower machines.

I long for the day of a 1 Ghz PDA and by then I'll be longing for a 2 Ghz PDA.

Trust me, when you've been to the land of the iPAQ H6315, you KNOW what slow is. Besides, a lot of the 520MHz Pocket PCs still can't even benchmark faster than the iPAQ h4155 for some reason.

These days, it seems like manufacturer's are moving more towards GPUS rather than CPUs for increased performance in the Pocket PC camp.
Three years ago, there was all this hype about moving to 800MHz CPUs by 2004, but it's 2004 now and we've barely hit the 624MHz mark.

Janak Parekh
11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Microsoft made a lot of improvements in WM2003SE for one-handed use which was a surprise since I didn't hear anyone talking about it. For instance, now you can navigate through the Today screen with the D-pad instead of the stylus. You can also "Smart Minimize" your programs by pressing the End call button, or you can assign the "OK/Close" task to a programmable button.
Both great improvements I didn't know about. :| I think you'll find few are talking about it because there's a paucity of devices out there. That also means SMSes and the like are easier to access, I presume, which was my biggest problem with the i700.

Still, I'm very happy at the flip and small form factor. If the phone rings, I can easily grab the phone in my pocket, flip it up, and start talking. I kept my i700 in a slipcase sleeve as I didn't like the idea of a flip case (with the flip flapping in the back while I'm on the phone), and it's very hard to remove a PDA from a slipcase with one hand. Add the fact that the i700's stylus is upside down... ;)

Also - it's not like I would have picked up a Blue Angel, since Verizon's coverage is far superior to every other carrier where I live. But I'm glad to hear the device is working out so well. :D

--janak

Talldog
11-10-2004, 09:12 PM
No idea when it will be released though?

mjaffe
12-01-2004, 11:31 PM
The phone is available now. Mine will be delivered from direct fufillment Thursday, Dec 2nd.
Marc