View Full Version : upgrading to a new x50v from ipaq 2200

allenfdavis
11-10-2004, 04:55 AM
Is thera any reason i can't (or should not) use the active sync back up program from my 2215 and restore it on my new x50v. Or should i reinstall all the programs from sctatch?

-Agenda fusion
-multiple medical programs
-adobe acrobat
and many games.

Also, what programs support the intel graphics chip?

-Thanks in advance

AMelis
11-10-2004, 06:42 AM
Is thera any reason i can't (or should not) use the active sync back up program from my 2215 and restore it on my new x50v. Or should i reinstall all the programs from sctatch?
Yes. They have totally different registry structures. Even if you were going from, say, a 1910 to a 2215 you would encounter problems. You will certainly encounter problems going to the VGA and WM2003SE. Major problems. Your best best is to do a fresh reinstall of each application.

I just migrated from a 4150 to a x50v and that is what I did. Now, I do not use AF, I use PI, so after I installed PI I used Sprite Backup to restore the settings database only (plus some documents and excel files I needed). I assume that AF will have a similar file. Worked like a charm again.

PetiteFlower
11-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Your programs will of course need to be reinstalled, for the reasons already stated. However if you sync all your Outlook information prior to the switch, then when you sync your new device for the first time, it will carry over all your current PIM stuff so you don't have to re-enter all your contacts. Same with documents, though you might have to manually copy over all the stuff from the old sync'd docs folder to the new one.

You might want to take it easy with the installing too, go with one program at a time to see if any of them cause problems(backing up before each install of course!), some of them might not be designed to work on a VGA system, and better to be able to catch the bad ones right away then have to work backwards (and possibly lose information) later :)