View Full Version : GMail in your pocket outlook

dragomia
11-09-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm planning on writing a GMail add-on for pocket outlook but don't have a GMail account. Anybody willing to send me an invite?

Adrian

Mobile_Bear
11-09-2004, 11:28 PM
PM me.
Include an e-mail adress, I have a couple.

dragomia
11-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Thank you, I just sent you a message.

crwoo
11-10-2004, 12:20 AM
darn, i wanted to give you a gmail address in trade for that program :lol:

dragomia
11-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks everybody, I got my gmail account.

Adrian

Stephen Beesley
11-10-2004, 02:28 PM
I have just noticed that gmail has now added POP3 support. Haven't tried it yet but I am already wondering whether this will work for Pocket Outlook - it would certainly solve some of my emial problems if it does.

Ryan Joseph
11-10-2004, 04:41 PM
I have just noticed that gmail has now added POP3 support. Haven't tried it yet but I am already wondering whether this will work for Pocket Outlook - it would certainly solve some of my emial problems if it does.

Where do you see that?! 8O That could be huge. I'm looking all over my GMail account and can't find anything about it. Tell me where you found it. Post hast. :mrgreen:

SofaTater
11-10-2004, 04:48 PM

Where do you see that?! 8O That could be huge. I'm looking all over my GMail account and can't find anything about it. Tell me where you found it. Post hast. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure it's actually in place yet. There is a section about enabling POP in the Help Center, but my Settings panel doesn't include those options yet. Maybe they've not quite rolled it out for everyone yet?

Ryan Joseph
11-10-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure it's actually in place yet. There is a section about enabling POP in the Help Center, but my Settings panel doesn't include those options yet. Maybe they've not quite rolled it out for everyone yet?

Well then I eagerly look forward to it. :mrgreen:

divajess
11-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Via Mobileread (http://www.mobileread.com):

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server – requires SSL:
pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server – requires TLS:
smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

Account Name:
your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com')

Email Address:
your full Gmail email address ([email protected])

Password:
your Gmail password

dragomia
11-10-2004, 08:05 PM
That's great, good to know although I foresee problems with this set-up (i.e. blocked ports because they are not the standard ones, inability to see other folders besides Inbox etc.).

Adrian

Stephen Beesley
11-10-2004, 10:26 PM

Well then I eagerly look forward to it. :mrgreen:

Yes - I did jump the gun abit. It took me by suprise I was just cruising around the help section when I noticed it and figured I must have missed the announcment.

This could make gmail the killer email account for me - particularly if Pocket Outlook can handle it.

Mobile_Bear
11-11-2004, 03:42 PM
This could make gmail the killer email account for me - particularly if Pocket Outlook can handle it.

Same here. I realize that my wishlist for my perfect PPC are simple things, at least looks simple, like a word processor, Internet browser, and web based e-mail. Too bad I cannot do that with an "out-of-the-box" PPC.

Mobile_Bear
11-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Check under Help>Pop.

Looks like it is available

POP access is free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge.

* Over the next several weeks, we are introducing POP access to all of our users. To make sure the feature is fully stable, we're giving users access to POP in phases. Once POP access is available to you, a 'New Features!' link appears at the top of your account, along with a 'Forwarding and POP' tab on your 'Settings' page.

Darius Wey
11-12-2004, 06:58 AM
There's further discussion on the front page news post: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=300394