View Full Version : Axim X50V and Active Sync

ChemNerd
11-09-2004, 09:50 PM
I just got my axim and honestly I'm ready to throw it out the window. This is not a good experiance as far as I'm concerned. Most of this is centered around active sync.

I used to own a iPaq 4350 and it broke so I decided to upgrade to this, so this is not my first time using active sync. Active Sync will hang while looking for update 1/10 of the time. I am having problems looking at files on the device - when I hit explore there is just nothing there. I'm also having problems removing programs and in the one day I've had it have already had to hard reset it once (along with numerous soft resets).

Am I just in bad luck with this, or are others having anything similar? I mean I think in the months that I owned my 4350 I had to hard reset maybe 2 times. I've also noticed this thing is incredably slow at times (yes I set the processor to full speed) and it's ability to play videos is no better than my 4350 was as far as I can tell (might be MediaPlayer 10 comming in to effect?).

I'm looking for suggestions of others or to see if others are having this problem as well. I'll try to call Dell sometime in the near future I guess.

PJE
11-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem...

My X50v seems a little reluctact at times to connect as I'm running as a guest until I get my new work PC later in the week. When it connects its fine, but occasionally I have to reinsert the device in the cradle a few times.

Did you install the ActiveSync software supplied with your X50v, or are you trying to use the old HP ActiveSync installation?

With my old X5 I had to install a USB driver for the X5 with the ActiveSync installation... I can't remember if I did the same with the X50v.

I would recommend reinstalling ActiveSync and/or search the install disc for any Dell USB drivers (I don't have my CD with me to check).

Deus
11-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Thought it may seem to be the same version of MSASync install the one that came with the X50 if you havent. The hard resets may be do to any software. People are still trying to sort through what is compatible and what is not.

I suggest you head over to http://www.aximsite. com if youhaven't yet. There is a lot of discussion there about he X50 series. c ya there!

drop
11-09-2004, 10:40 PM
I haven't encountered any sync problem with X50v. I only have it for a week.

I did follow instruction and install ActiveSync on top of existing ActiveSync before connecting the cradle to the PC. I have no problem. I am just tickle to death with my new toy.

ChemNerd
11-10-2004, 06:24 AM
I installed it from the Dell CD since I felt it was the better idea.

On the plus side - after my 2nd hard reset things seem much better this time. Frankly I'm a little confused as to what is going on exactly. I remember my 4350 had problems only when I installed stupid things to it that didn't work right, but I've not installed one single thing diffrent so far. I'm really hoping all these little issues get ironed out somehow. I'm enjoying it more now and the VGA screen is a joy as I'm sure anyone who owns it can tell.

Thanks for the help.

Rob Borek
11-10-2004, 06:49 AM
I installed it from the Dell CD since I felt it was the better idea.

On the plus side - after my 2nd hard reset things seem much better this time. Frankly I'm a little confused as to what is going on exactly. I remember my 4350 had problems only when I installed stupid things to it that didn't work right, but I've not installed one single thing diffrent so far. I'm really hoping all these little issues get ironed out somehow. I'm enjoying it more now and the VGA screen is a joy as I'm sure anyone who owns it can tell.

Thanks for the help.

Programs that caused problems on the 4350 will be different than programs that cause problems on the x50v, as the OS is slightly different and the x50v uses a VGA display. Make sure you grab updated versions of any applications you have.

PetiteFlower
11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
And install them one at a time, so you can spot the offenders right away!

ChemNerd
11-11-2004, 01:34 AM
Active Sync is still a little funny, but things are definatly looking better. Here's to hopping that things get better with time and so on. Lets rock and roll VGA.