View Full Version : Has 3Com BT adapter 3CREB96, need BEST BT adapter that supports MOST services...

eieio
11-09-2004, 06:39 PM
i'm unable to get my ipaq 4705 to connect successfully w/my PC which uses the 3Com Bluetooth adapter 3CREB96 (around 2 yrs old). While the PC/3Com Bluetooth adapter can connect with and pair w/ipaq 4705, the reverse does NOT work, that is, anything initiated from the 4705 does not pair with or connect to the 3Com.

I'm beginning to suspect that the 2-year old 3Com device does not support certain protocols/methods that the 4705 which is obviously newer uses.

maybe i need to buy a new usb bluetooth adapter? which is the most COMPLETE one that supports as many protocols as there are out there?

thanks!

kozak
11-09-2004, 10:43 PM
The best adapter I've seen is the Logitech MX900 mouse. It's cradle is a Bluetooth base and I've successfuly connected my iPAQ h2215, Sony Ericsson Phone, and even Jabra BT200 headset. The Jabra is great, cause I use it as my mic and speaker, great for using voice programs. I can sync over bluetooth with my iPAQ and use the internet. Works great. Not a cheap mouse though.

MitchellO
11-10-2004, 06:56 AM
I have the MX900 mouse, but have not used the Bluetooth cradle for anything but charging. My Dell Inspiron 8600 has builtin bluetooth, so it is only used as a charger.

It seems to support everything though, and you get a REALLY good mouse too. It is the BEST mouse I have ever used. I highly recommend it. And, you get your new bluetooth adaptor.

eieio
11-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Thanks guys...but unfortunately, I have the Logitech MX Duo keyboard and mouse combo. My thinking back then was that I gain nothing by going Bluetooth over infrared, as the distances between the charging stand and the mouse/keyboard is so short that infrared is perfect for the purpose. Also, I thought that my 3Com usb Bluetooth adapter is just fine for the job...until now that I discover that the 3Com Bluetooth adapters are among the WORST in the industry. In fact, 3Com stopped making Bluetooth adapters around 2 years ago! They just can't get it right.

Instead of getting a new mouse/keyboard from Logitech (my MX Duo is working perfectly fine, and is the same as your Bluetooth version except for the transmission method and the multi-use purpose of your charging stand/bluetooth "dongle"), I probably should just consider a usb dongle that is really good, probably like the Belkin model that lists everything that it is compatible with right on the box/packaging?

MitchellO
11-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Look at the 100m ones. The will let you take you iPAQ much further away than the standard 10m ones. Good for surfing the web if you don't have a WiFi network. I did it with my h2210 (BT only) until I got my h4350 (WiFi and BT). I now use the WiFi network when at home, and BT when out (for syncing, not web access).

eieio
11-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the info, MitchellO. What i really need is someone who knows this Bluetooth usb adapter stuff to tell me which brand/model supports almost all the current "services" when a device "discovers" it. the Kensington does not make it clear at all what it supports and only costs $30, the Belkin is VERY clear right on the back of the packaging but costs $100!

what i'm trying to avoid is the same mistake i made w/the 3Com. who would have thought that 3Com would make such a lousy device?

MitchellO
11-12-2004, 01:52 PM
I used to use a DLink DBT120 bluetooth dongle with my 2210, before I got my new laptop that had bluetooth built in. It was only a 10m one, but supported everything and had quite good range. Never had a problem. It is extremely small too.