View Full Version : recommendation for a heavy user (of the screen)??

ipaq_wannabe
11-09-2004, 02:20 AM
i could definitely say that im a heavy pda user - whenever i go to meetings, etc. i never carry any paper notebook, or even a laptap computer... all i need is my trusty handheld...

that being so - i usually wear down the screen protector sheet in just a couple of weeks. the successive weeks just gets difficult for me due to the “lost” of sensitivity in the screen - i would then need to either tap harder (i use Fitaly), or even press harder when i do a drag (when the mood suits me, i use MessagEase)...

and there are times that sometimes nothing works - when i do a down drag from the upper part of the SIP i get recognition, however when i do an up drag from the lower toolbar, nothing rgisters... <--- this is the main reason why i had to stick with fitaly since i rarely get drags “recognized” in MessagEase, plus of course fitaly provides visual input for which key you are tapping at...

i was wondering if anyone could suggest a work-around for this? or at least a recommendable screen protector for heavy users?

thanks in advance...

bigkingfun
11-09-2004, 03:08 AM
The WriteSHIELD screen protectors from www.ppctechs.com are fantastic. I'm also a fairly heavy user of my PDA and I don't notice any loss of sensitivity or accuracy when using these. I'll usually get about 6 months from a single protector.

darrylb
11-09-2004, 03:36 AM
I've been using the ones from www.boxwave.com (http://www.boxwave.com). I got 10 months from my last one (the life of the device). I'm a heavy PDA user as well.

They also have the new crystal one, which has minimal (if noticable) affect on the screen clarity.

Cheers
D

ipaq_wannabe
11-09-2004, 04:13 AM
thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately both of them dont have products that could be used with my handheld - a Fujitsu-Seimens Loox 610...

i guess the best thing to do is to get myself a DIY kit

ChunkyMonkey
11-09-2004, 04:25 AM
thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately both of them dont have products that could be used with my handheld - a Fujitsu-Seimens Loox 610...

i guess the best thing to do is to get myself a DIY kit

The display of that unit is a pretty standard 3.5 inch display. I would think if you ordered one for a 2215 iPaq that it would do.

Has anyone here had luck with that?

bigkingfun
11-09-2004, 04:42 AM
The display of that unit is a pretty standard 3.5 inch display. I would think if you ordered one for a 2215 iPaq that it would do.

Has anyone here had luck with that?

I had a couple of the WriteSHIELDs left from the e740 when I got my 4150. They were a little big so I just cut them down to size and they worked perfectly. If the screen is the same size, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

gregmills
11-09-2004, 06:40 AM
It may not be very helpful but my recommendation is go naked.

If you're trying to preserve the resale value of the device there won't be enough difference in the value to cover what you're going to spend in screen protectors over the life of the device. I've bought the kind that stick on the screen and the kind that slips in under the edges. One reduced the visual clarity of the screen and the other created obnoxious glare.

Your device probably comes with a high quality scratch resistant surface. Enjoy it. If it getsa little scratch it's not the end of the world. I've wasted my money on screen protection and I've given up spending $10 for precut sections of transparency film. :roll:

I'm calling BS on Screen Protection. It's a sham. Go naked! :D

socrates63
11-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Your device probably comes with a high quality scratch resistant surface. Enjoy it. If it getsa little scratch it's not the end of the world. I've wasted my money on screen protection and I've given up spending $10 for precut sections of transparency film. :roll:

Yeah, I agree that the screens have high quality scratch-resistant surfaces and a little scratch here and there isn't the end of the world, but what's an anal-retentive guy to do? :) One time, I forgot that I was holding a ballpoint pen and started writing on the screen! I sure was glad I had a screen protector on my PPC.

The real sham is the $10 price for these screen protectors. But like I said, what's an anal-retentive guy to do?

ipaq_wannabe
11-09-2004, 10:33 AM
It may not be very helpful but my recommendation is go naked.

If you're trying to preserve the resale value of the device there won't be enough difference in the value to cover what you're going to spend in screen protectors over the life of the device. I've bought the kind that stick on the screen and the kind that slips in under the edges. One reduced the visual clarity of the screen and the other created obnoxious glare.

hhhhmmmm... to be honest, this would be a good way to look at it...

basically, when i first got my handheld, i think ive already spent about US$30 in just a week... just for finding the “the one” for me... and still with less than par satisfaction...

and this is what led me to make this post...

ipaq_wannabe
11-09-2004, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I agree that the screens have high quality scratch-resistant surfaces and a little scratch here and there isn't the end of the world, but what's an anal-retentive guy to do? :) One time, I forgot that I was holding a ballpoint pen and started writing on the screen! I sure was glad I had a screen protector on my PPC.

The real sham is the $10 price for these screen protectors. But like I said, what's an anal-retentive guy to do?

same thing here - with a multi-stylus, sometimes i forgot that im using the ballpen point and end up writing on the screen...

ipaq_wannabe
11-09-2004, 10:43 AM
just a worry when i go naked - right now im already using a screen protector and i already manage to make scratches (on the film) in just around a couple of weeks...

what then when there is nothing covering my screen? i would then have a very worn-out screen by the end of the month...

darrylb
11-09-2004, 10:50 AM
When I had my 3970 and first got fitaly, I found that after about three months I had quite noticable marks where the keypad was.

I've had a screen protector on every device since. Its a worth while investment in my mind. Unless you get free Pocket PC's :wink:

gregmills
11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
To each his own I guess.

I think I'm a pretty heavy user myself. I use Block Recoginizer for input and after 3 or months of going naked I only see very minor scratches on the screen.

I've never taken a ballpoint pen to my screen though and the screen is pretty sensitive so I handle the stylus very lightly. I guess that's my screen protection I just handle it carefully.

Kati Compton
11-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I like that I don't have to worry about the screen as much with a nice tough protector on it. I use WriteShields. If you object based on cost, then they probably wouldn't make you happy. But they're quite good, and mine's lasted more than a year.

Kati Compton
11-09-2004, 05:48 PM
just a worry when i go naked - right now im already using a screen protector and i already manage to make scratches (on the film) in just around a couple of weeks...

what then when there is nothing covering my screen? i would then have a very worn-out screen by the end of the month...
If you're using the cheapie protectors (Fellowes, etc), then they are most likely LESS scratch-resistant than your screen. On the other hand, replacing a screen protector to back to no scratches is much cheaper than replacing the screen... And if you use a tougher protector, you don't even have to replace as often.

Anybody seen a good recent comparison of WriteShields and Boxwave? They both offer non-glare and clear versions, and I'm not sure which I want...

i_spock
11-09-2004, 07:24 PM
I usually use writewrites on my PDA's, but not since I got my Axim X30H. The screen is more spongy than any other device I've owned and the sensitivity really was terrible with a screen protector on. Actually, the "feel" of the screen seems to be like there already is a hard plastic protector on it. I don't do all that much writing on my PDA anyway, and I haven't noticed any scratches yet. I use the stock stylus.

ipaq_wannabe
11-09-2004, 10:35 PM
I usually use writewrites on my PDA's, but not since I got my Axim X30H. The screen is more spongy than any other device I've owned and the sensitivity really was terrible with a screen protector on. Actually, the "feel" of the screen seems to be like there already is a hard plastic protector on it. I don't do all that much writing on my PDA anyway, and I haven't noticed any scratches yet. I use the stock stylus.

in my case... maybe its not the screen protector after all? because mine is also spongy...