and the problem persists. When I attempt to synch with
Outlook and look at Notes it causes the Outlook pst to
become corrupt. I then have to do a inbox repair and
repair Office 2003.

Any advice other than no stop trying to use the note
section of Outlook (a very handy feature)? :?:

Darius Wey
11-08-2004, 03:36 AM
You may have to replace your entire PST file on the computer.

To do this, make sure you backup your existing PST file by using the FILE > IMPORT AND EXPORT feature in Outlook, and export it to a PST file which you can keep on hand to restore your personal data.

To replace your PST file, I wrote a post a few weeks back which guides you through it. You can find it here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33579)

jokester
11-10-2004, 04:38 AM
I did as instructed but it looks like the notes section that I reimported must be corrupted. I guess I will repeat your instructions and synch with out notes. Any other suggestions?

victore
11-10-2004, 07:26 PM
notes synchronization gets a little funky. let me see if i can explain it. when you create a note on your wm device, it will create discrete files, much like a Pocket Word document. when you synchronize with outlook, those files get integrated into your pst file. if you synch your wm's my docs folder, you'll see a empty "notes" folder.

here's what i would try, on your wm device, create a new folder outside of your my docs folder and move all of your notes to that folder. in outlook, delete all of your notes. synch your device. if all goes well, move each note, one by one, back into the my docs\notes folder on your device and synch. when you get to a note that causes the synch to fail, then you've found your culprit.

thechrisjung
11-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Can you even sycn with Outlook 2003.
Activesync says it syncs only up to outlook 2002

victore
11-12-2004, 12:53 AM
I've been synching with Outlook 2k3 with ActiveSync 3.7.1

thechrisjung
11-12-2004, 02:43 AM
awesome

jokester
11-15-2004, 02:11 AM
I apologize for the delay in responding - now that the weekend is almost over.....

I did as instructed, created a new pst and while it was blank, I tried to synch to at least see if the pda would download into the blank outlook 2003. First though, I enabled the notes section to synch (previously unchecked).

The unit would start to synch and then the synch window would minimize. When I reopened it, it would restart the synch process and asked if I wanted to merge records, use the PDAs or skip. I could see that the notes section was already stating Attention Required. When I clicked merge records on the PDA and PC the window would go away and the icon would swirl on the tray (lower right). When I double click it would start at step one again and again.

So is the unit at issue? I previously reloaded Activesync 3.7.1 before starting this exercise. The unit is still under warranty from the retail outlet - I am thinking of just exchanging for a new one and starting with that!

jokester
11-15-2004, 02:41 AM
I neglected to mention that I synch between my work laptop and my home PC - both running Windows XP PRO SP2 and MS outlook 2003. Both fail to synch to notes.

Darius Wey
11-18-2004, 04:13 AM
Have you tried deleting your partnership and creating a new one?

jokester
11-20-2004, 02:54 AM
Yes, I have. Also I did a hard reset.

Darius Wey
11-20-2004, 04:05 AM
Ok, here's what I suggest:

I suggested that you try creating a new PST file and giving that a go. But then you went ahead and reimported your Notes back into this clean PST file. It seems as though the Notes database is the culprit, and reimporting it will only cause more of a mess. So if you can make do without the Notes and create a new PST file, give that a go. Don't reimport your PDA contents back into your PC's PST file. What you should do is backup the other essential PIM data on your PC (e.g. Calendar, Contacts, Tasks), then delete the PST file, create a new one, reimport those back in, and try synching. Leave Notes out altogether. If the problem is gone, then it's safe to say it is due to a corrupt Notes database. If it still persists, it may be other corrupt databases in the other PIM data.

jokester
12-10-2004, 09:15 PM
My saga continues but with no resolution - I just upgraded to the IPAQ 3715 and on my laptop was able to synch with no problem. I also created a new pst in Outlook 03 and then dragged the old files (minus 1000s of emails). I synched without Notes with no problem. When I synched to the Notes folder with nothing in it, I encountered an synch error. So I am stymied.

I just posted a question for alternative software for the Notes function as I routinely have stored info on the useful Notes. :cry:

Darius Wey
12-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Hmm... Have you tried uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling it?

ctmagnus
12-11-2004, 06:17 AM
Exporting/importing the notes was mentioned previously. Have you tried opening both PSTs at the same time, and just dragging the notes from one to the other? Imo, doing it this way would take only the notes themselves and nothing else that may get brought along from the old PST to the new one by doing an import.

jokester
12-11-2004, 11:47 PM
I will next try uninstalling and then re-installing Outlook. As for the other suggestion, I have tried both creating a new pst and importing the entire personal folder and then as another attempt, importing each section (mail, contacts, calender, tasks and notes individually as mini-psts - all to no avail. Will advise