View Full Version : My advice? Avoid iPAQs - HP can't repair them

stevehiner
11-05-2004, 10:42 PM
I just got a call from HP. My iPAQ 2210 is in for repair for the THIRD time - for the SAME problem.

The problems is this: when I turn the iPAQ off the backlight turns off but the screen doesn't. Most of the pixels turn off but about 1/3 of them stay on and typically fade out slowly. Sometimes they don't fade out though and if I don't notice it they will drain the battery entirely. That has happened numerous times over the 16 months I've owned the unit.

The first time all they did was reflash the ROM, something I could have done in the comfort of my own home. When they sent it back to me they sorta forgot to put the battery back in the box so I had to spend $50 to be able to use the iPAQ again. Within 2 weeks the problem was back.

Fortunately when you have the unit repaired you get an extra 90 day warranty on the repair.

A couple months later I sent it in again. This time they replaced the mainboard. When I got the unit back the joystick wasn't working properly. When you push up or left on the stick it doesn't respond. Within a month or so the problem with the LCD came back again.

Wanting to make sure it wasn't somehow a software problem I hard reset the device and found the problem got worse.

Last Monday I sent it in for the third time to have the LCD and stick repaired. The customer non-service rep I just talked to informed me that the joystick won't be fixed because it was damaged and they don't repair under warranty for damage. What part of "your repair tech damaged it" don't you understand? Of course the repair department says they sent it back in perfect working order (yeah right, trust the guys that damaged it). They also gave me some sort of crap about there being two ways the LCD can turn off and the problem is with the power button so they won't repair it under the extended warranty. Basically, if they think they fixed it but they didn't you're out of luck if the problem is actually with a part they didn't think to fix.

Now I have to live with a $400 device that doesn't work quite right. Is this HPs implementation of forced obsolecense? What a waste of my time and money.

I will be avoiding HP like the plague now. I'm rather sorry that I just got a zd7000 laptop. I sure hope nothing goes wrong with it - I'd hate to let HP's repair butchers get their hands on it. It kinda reminds me of my high school shop class - everyone knew not to let the shop teacher touch their project, he'd invariably screw it up and you'd get a lower grade since it wan't perfect.

Darius Wey
11-06-2004, 04:28 AM
Wow...that's bad karma...

I've never really had a problem with HP support, but I guess you were the unlucky one. :mecry:

tospappy
11-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Once I had a problem with HP support. It was also a warranty problem. I just told them I would call Carly's office and complain. Well, next thing I know, I got satisfaction. It is all about jump over the hurdles, or through the hoops. In your case, I would just demand a replacement unit. God knows they probably have a bunch of refurb 2200 series units lying around.

Good Luck

tospappy.