View Full Version : 4705: difficulty of updating Wifi driver? done at home? or requires sending it in?

eieio
11-05-2004, 07:18 PM
4705: difficulty of updating Wifi driver? done at home? or requires sending it in?

As one who's waiting for his 4705 to arrive on Monday, I've read the 3 or more threads on all the issues people are having with their 802.11b Wifi connections. One of the key reasons for my upgrade from an old ipaq to the 4705 is the built in Bluetooth AND Wifi for simplicity in checking email, surf at a Hotspot, etc. and NOT additional aggravation and inability to connect!

May I ask the very knowledgeable gentlemen there whether this seemingly HUGE Wifi fiasco (yes, it sounds like a Wifi fiasco to me on every Wifi trouble thread on this 4700/4705 forum) is going to be easily "home user updatable easily", or is it one of those "send it in for a factory flashing of the ROM" type of deals? I'm not experience in Pocket PC updates.

I've had big Wifi issues with my fancy IBM laptop bought 10/03. It took IBM up until last month, yes, ONE full year, before they posted a truly working Wifi update. I have to admit that it is working as advertised now, but you know, having "lost" one year's use of a top-of-the-line laptop is equal to "losing" a substantial amount of money invested in that laptop purchased for the express purpose of convenience and ease of use!! Only now, am I able to connect via Wifi 802.11b with ease and stability.

With that as background, I hope you guys know why I'm very cautious in this soon-to-be-received 4705 (coming in 3 days).

QUESTION: If it's a bit tough to update, at home, the Wifi "driver" or whatever the right term is for the software for this ipaq, is this sufficient of a reason to return this 4705 and wait a month or two before buying it again? You never know, some things are easy to update at home, just download and click click click and it's installed, other things need to be sent to the factory for an "in-factory ROM flash" or whatever the correct term is.

Thanks in advance for your advice/comments.

ADBrown
11-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Any fixes would have to be part of a ROM update, which are performed by the user. It's not very hard.

eieio
11-05-2004, 10:42 PM
ADBrown:

thanks for posting your comment.

i know that for some cell phones, you HAVE to send it in to some special authorized places or to, say, Sony Ericsson in order to have the ROM "flashed", hence my concern. does that make sense?

thanks.