View Full Version : Using a Mac and PocketPC

gregh2000
11-05-2004, 04:58 AM
I have a few questions about using the pocketpc with a mac. I have missing sync and that works fine. One question I have is how to get a pocketword document out of it and use it on the mac. I have office on the mac, but it doesn't know what to do with a .pwd file. Is there some converter. Also is there a way to read the notes I have hand written on the mac?

Thanks,
Greg

manywhere
11-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Download and install OpenOffice on your Mac (seems to require installation of X11 in Mac OS X, no Mac OS 9 support?). When you are installing, make sure that you choose to install the Pocket Word and Pocket Excel compatability-- if they are included. I've only seen this option on the Windows release, and I'm not sure that they include this on the Mac release.

OpenOffice can open Pocket Word, and Excel files and then you can save them as anyother file format. Unfortunately, it seems that there is no automated way of doing this conversion on a Mac, yet. Maybe in the near future.

Another work around is to open the document(s) one-by-one on your Pocket PC and "save as" Word Document. Then transfer/copy them to your Mac and open them there. ;)

manywhere
11-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Also is there a way to read the notes I have hand written on the mac?
Right now, the only app that seems to be able to do that might be Pocket Mac Pro with the included converter... :(

gregh2000
11-06-2004, 09:05 AM
cool, thanks for your reply i will have to check it out, sucks there is no automatic converter for the mac. Is there way to make it always save in regular word format instead of pocket word?

G