View Full Version : SD format & copy

OldMan50
11-05-2004, 04:41 AM
I need to format a new 1g SD card. What / how do you recommend?

Also I need to copy my old 256 card to 1g, any recommendations? Without re-installing all my stuff on the 256M.

Luv this site very helpful.

Darius Wey
11-05-2004, 04:50 AM
You can either do this via your PC with a card reader/writer or on your Pocket PC provided you have the software to do it.

Some typical guidelines for file system are either FAT16/FAT32 - it's up to you. With respect to cluster size, you may want to pick a small value if you plan to store a number of small files, otherwise a large value will help speed up access times. Other than that, the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Some good software for the Pocket PC is Flash Format (by CNetX) or StorageTools (by Sentry 2020).

Now I'm assuming you have programs installed on the 256MB. If it were simple enough to copy over, I'd suggest it. Otherwise, it may not always be that simple as there may be hidden files here and there that don't get copied over. If you want, you can give it a go - just copy the folders/files into a spare directory on your PC, and then format the 1GB and copy these folders/files back onto the card, but bear in mind that you should keep the folder structure at the same level so that it doesn't muck up your registry settings.