View Full Version : WINXP PRO LOGIN PROBLEM PLEASE HELP!!!!!

iiinycboi
11-05-2004, 03:53 AM
URGENT PLEASE HELP COMPUTER GURUS!

Ok, so i have a school laptop but i which no longer goto that school. I brought it, but i have wifi on it so i was using it around the house. So it had domains, and user name and you MUST log in to get into windows.

So, i went to systems propperties and changed the computer name to SD1
and i unclicked domain, and clicked WORKGROUP SD. And it asked for my password to authorized change of name so i punch in my username: NGM and PW. Now i restarted the computer the log in screen is here, and i cant log in. What can i do to take away the log in, and is my log in name SD1 now? It keeps saying check user name and domain, now the only option ther eis is OK CANCEL SHUT DOWN <<<OPTIONS

back then there was domain button too but now its gone. What can i do to get into windows again? Anymore info gurus need i will tell.

PLEASE HELP i have important files i need to get out before dead line. So i can not reformat. THANKS ALOT

OSUKid7
11-05-2004, 05:26 AM
I'm not sure if I understand your situation correctly. Usually you need admin rights on the domain if you wish to add or remove a computer from the domain. I'm not sure how you would do that without being on the network.

My best advice would be to go into safe mode and do a system restore. Then connect to the school domain/network and have an admin remove you correctly.

dean_shan
11-05-2004, 08:20 AM
You could always wipe the disk clean and start a new.

OSUKid7
11-05-2004, 01:23 PM
PLEASE HELP i have important files i need to get out before dead line. So i can not reformat. THANKS ALOT
:wink:

dean_shan
11-05-2004, 06:38 PM
:wink:

Hmm I must have missed that part. Anyways, you could pull the HD out of the laptop and hook up up do a desktop as a slave (you will need a Laptop to IDE (http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705) apadter to do so). Once you have booted your desktop you can access all the files on the laptop drive.

PR.
11-05-2004, 06:55 PM
URGENT PLEASE HELP COMPUTER GURUS!

Ok, so i have a school laptop but i which no longer goto that school. I brought it, but i have wifi on it so i was using it around the house. So it had domains, and user name and you MUST log in to get into windows.

So, i went to systems propperties and changed the computer name to SD1
and i unclicked domain, and clicked WORKGROUP SD. And it asked for my password to authorized change of name so i punch in my username: NGM and PW. Now i restarted the computer the log in screen is here, and i cant log in. What can i do to take away the log in, and is my log in name SD1 now? It keeps saying check user name and domain, now the only option ther eis is OK CANCEL SHUT DOWN <<<OPTIONS

back then there was domain button too but now its gone. What can i do to get into windows again? Anymore info gurus need i will tell.

When you were on the domain your username and password logged on to the domain through the laptop. When you are off the domain you use a cached profile which allows you to use the laptop.

When you changed to a workgroup the password and username it asked for was the admin password so that it could delete its account from the domain (which you aren't on) it couldn't do this so it just changed its workgroup and restarted. Now you have to login as a local user to the machine, your old username and password are gone.

You will need to login as a local administrator account to get access to the machine which may be if you are lucky USERNAME: Administrator PASSWORD: <blank> if that doesn't work try USERNAME: guest PASSWORD: <blank> if that doesn't work you are going to either remove the HDD and connect it as a slave to another PC or find the local admin password.

If you are unlucky you may find that the location of your files C:\documents and settings\%username%\my documents\ has security locking it and you will need to be an admin to take ownership and give yourself rights to access it.

The moral is don't mess with settings when you don't know that they do!

hope that helps

Janak Parekh
11-07-2004, 01:03 AM
PR is 100% correct. The set of login-able usernames has changed to the local machine's context (i.e., the usernames in Control Panel => User Accounts). Generally the local Administrator password was set by the school when they installed your laptop.

If you absolutely cannot log in, the way to recover the data would be to take out the hard drive and slave it off another computer assuming you can remove the hard drive. If not, there are boot tools out there that might give you access, but without the Administrator password it might get a little tricky.

--janak

Darius Wey
11-07-2004, 06:49 AM
If you absolutely cannot log in, the way to recover the data would be to take out the hard drive and slave it off another computer assuming you can remove the hard drive. If not, there are boot tools out there that might give you access, but without the Administrator password it might get a little tricky.

I did this for a friend once who was in the exact same situation. I removed the HDD, whacked it in an external case, took the critical files out, and reformated the computer.

You would need Admin access to pass the login screen otherwise you're in a no-win situation at the moment.