View Full Version : X50v - First thoughts...

PJE
11-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Hi,

After my last thread kicked up so much fuss, how about another one...

Here are my first thoughts on my new X50v compared with my old X5.

1. Looks/Form factor/Buttons

I Love the looks. It appears to be the follow on to the HP 19xx series and the shape is much easier to hold than the X5. The buttons, especially the direction pad are a big improvement over my X5 which was always mushy and the center 'Action' button was switched off as it would be pressed to often.

However, I've pressed the side mounted buttons which I've mapped to screen rotate and wireless a few times while holding it.

2. Screen/VGA

This screen is in one word SUPURB. I've installed SE_VGA to get true VGA and the basic system seems to work as intended.

I've noticed I'm touching the screen while using Calligrapher input as the screen border, which I used to rest on, is smaller. Once I get used to it It should be fine. I also noticed that Calligrapher seemed happer in SE_VGA mode than the standard VGA mode as the ink display would be smoother. One thing I like about Calligrapher is that I can switch Landscape/Portrait freely without informing the recognition engine. Transcriber seems to be messed up by screen rotation.

Note: I didn't get chance to buy any new screen protectors so slapped on one of my old iPaq fellows protectors for the time being and was pleasantly suprised... I was expecting it not to work well, but seems to be perfectly OK. I'm not saying one of the better protectors such as the PocketPCtech WriteShield C2 wouldn't be better.

3. Software Compatibility

I've hit a few programs (PocketBreeze?) which causes repeated soft resets which I cancelled by calling up PocketInformant via the buttons during bootup. Other programs seem to struggle with VGA, but in general programs such as IE, eBook readers, etc are vastly improved.

A quick note on task managers (WisBar etc...). I used IcBar on my X5 and was very happy. Unfortunately IcBar doesn't work well with VGA - as far as I know - and therefore I checked out WisBar Advance which seemed to be attempting to do too much. Finally I found Magic Button (V1.7) which seems to do everything I need (apart from free form skinning of the top bar) and works well with SE_VGA, standard VGA, and Landscape.

Note: PocketPop (v1.4) which is the main reason my wife let me upgrade does not work properly... :( although JawBreaker is very similar.

4. Wireless

At home I can select IE, press the enable wireless button, and be serfing the web reliably in less than 15s. With my old X5/CF card I could get it to work most of the time...eventually, but the QVGA screen made the experiance painful.

5. Battery life

I've noticed that WiFi use causes the battery to be drained more quickly, but I've not had the unit long enough to make any lasting impressions. For surfing on the couch I'll probably get an external rechargable battery pack, but for most PIM usage the standard battery looks to be OK as long as you're not too far from the power charger.

6. Overall experiance

Very good. Even the free case is a useful item - I doubt I'll be buying a case for a while. I'd forgotton how long it took me to get my X5 configured how I liked it... but that's the fun anyway. :)

Software Tried (Amongst others):
PocketInformant
Calligrapher
TextMaker
SE_VGA
Resco File Explorer
µBook (Excellent Free Ebook reader)
Calc98

amitregev
11-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Hi PJE :)

Can you tell me which version of PocketBreeze you were using? we had some problems in the past with the new Dell ROM update which was fixed with the latest versuin, but I'm not sure if this is the same issue.

Also, can you tell me if you were using any VGA hack software? :roll:

And of course, I'm terribly sorry for the touble :(

PJE
11-04-2004, 04:13 PM
And of course, I'm terribly sorry for the touble :(

No problem... This is half the fun :wink:

Can you tell me which version of PocketBreeze you were using? we had some problems in the past with the new Dell ROM update which was fixed with the latest versuin, but I'm not sure if this is the same issue.

Also, can you tell me if you were using any VGA hack software? :roll:

I used the latest files off the internet yesterday - I noticed my versions were a few weeks old when 4.1 came out. ContactBreeze played up before I installed SE_VGA, but was an old version.

Now as soon as PocketBreeze starts on the today screen the machine resets. However, I can recover quickly and disable PB from the Today Screen settings... However I'd grown to rely on PB and as well as Contact Breeze.

Timeline:

Installed Pocket/ContactBreeze versions that were running on my X5.
Everything seemed OK (I have yet to load any data onto PI).
Installed SE_VGA/Tweeks2K2.
Noticed that ContactBreeze performed a soft reset when called up. but PB seemed OK.
Loaded the latest verstions of PB/CB.
Now neither seems to work correctly...

I did also try Tweeks2K2?, so this may also be messing things up. It's a shame Tweeks2K2 doesn't let you reset everything back to factory even when the stupid 3 runs is over (why not a week?) as my machine has self reset with this problem many times and taken up all the runs of the software and there are things I'd like to change back... Looks like they've got me over a barrel and I'll have to cough up some money. (It is good software, and I would probably have bought it at some point).

amitregev
11-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Of course I will be glad to test this issue with you (if you will have the time) but before we start to do it, there are too many software involved, so I can't be sure PB is the faulty (not that I'm trying to say it is not his fault... but we can't be sure, and I don't want to start running LOG based versions to find it if we are not sure PB is the cause...).

Can you try removing SE_VGA and see if PB alone (after removing CB too) is working fine?

I can understand if you'll decide not to test this anymore, but of course I won't be able to help too then :(

Sven Johannsen
11-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Amit, I was going to post that you would likely be very responsive to this as you are to all user issues and requests. Sort of makes me glad that Dell is dragging their feet on getting me my X50, since it gives you time to investigate and fix ;). If PJE doesn't have the time or inclination to work with you, though I'm sure he will, I'll be happy to when I get mine. I'm in a hurry to get my X50, but in no special hurry to make it my primary machine. I can afford to play a while.

amitregev
11-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Many thanks Sven for the kind offer :)

I know we have many X50 users and I never heard about this report, so this might be related to something else we missed - so I'm not sure PB won't work on your new device :D

PJE
11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi Amit,

Sorry for the slow reply...

I had to hard reset due to Vito ButtonMapper totally locking up my machine after it required soft reset. I have yet to load SE_VGA onto my machine (or Tweaks2K2)....

...so here goes (Note I had loaded PI and other programs).

1. PocketBreeze 4.1.10 loaded into default location

Everything seems to be working OK. On rotating the display a scroll bar appeared on the right which was bigger than the PocketBreeze section of the screen..

2. ContactBreeze 1.0.07 loaded into default location

Crash - I noticed it loadad the program into the Built In Memory and not RAM...

3. Uninstall ContactBreeze

Everything seems to be back to normal.

4. Reinstall Contact Breeze and try to force load to RAM.

Still loaded into Built-In Storage under: Built-In Storage/SBSH.ner ContactBreeze/SBSH/ContactBreeze/files...

I moved a copy of the ContactBreeze directory into RAM underneath PockBreeze...When I click on Contact Breeze everything seems to work...

In landscape the ContactBreeze letter bar ovelaps the bottom bar about 8 pixels.

5. Install SE_VGA now ContactBreeze seems to be working.

On installing SE_VGA and activating it the PocketBreeze screen comes up ok... and so does ContactBreeze.. Hitting Rotate the Keyboard in the expanded contact selection mode has disappeared, but reapears when I rotate back. If I rotate with the normal ABC bar and then go to the expanded contact the phonepad appears but the textbox above it is in the wrong place.

BUT IT ISN'T CRASHING!

I think the problem was that ContactBreeze was loading into the wrong location... which may be down to how I intalled it originally.

Anyway I'm happy it's working again.

Regards

PJE
11-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Oh No!

Coming out of SE_VGA mode the system started to repeatedly soft reset.

I uninstalled ContactBreeze and let it soft reset again...and again... so PocketBreeze is uninstalled again... :(

amitregev
11-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi PJE :)

You are really running fast here with many software and there are many reasons for all the trouble you are having. But I'm now pretty sure this is all stuff I can help you with B)

First, you are using a pretty old version of PocketBreeze and we had many new version of PocketBreeze since then with many improvements which will sure help :)

You can read how to download and install the latest version of both PocketBreeze and ContactBreeze on the following URL:

http://www.sbsh.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1677

After you get the latest version of PB and CB, you should install CB to the main memory because we have an issue with it when it is installed on the storage card/file store. This issue is actually cased by something MS changed in the new WM2003 OS and we currently have no solution for, so CB should go on the main memory. You can read more about this issue with the storage card on this post that is also on PPCT:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

(I usually don't want to blame someone else, but this thread explains the problem pretty good and shows we are not alone :) - we are working these days to find a solution for this).

Now, if you had CB before installed on a different location then the main memory you MUST uninstall it before moving it to another location. According to your post I wasn't sure if you simply moved the folder - which is something you can't do without installing CB to the new location because the installation process also writes important information to the registry that tells PB where CB is located.

Now, regarding SE_VGA, which is a VGA hack software. Currently CB simply doesn't support VGA hack software because we will need to add some work around for it as this is something MS didn't planned... but you can get PB to work with SE_VGA pretty easily.

First, you need to install PB when SE_VGA is still not working (make sure you are using the latest 4.1.15 version and not 4.1.10). After installing this version go to PB folder and mark the file "HighDpiRC.dll" as read only, this will allow you to switch SE_VGA and get things working.

We also have another work around for VGA hack software that you can read about on the following URL:
http://www.sbsh.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2065

In general I would suggest you to first download the latest PB version, install it alone (without CB) to the main memeory and run it without SE_VGA (which is a software that masses with Microsoft OS design...) and see if you still get problems. If everything is working in this state, then I would suggest to continue adding the other things and see when the trouble starts. (probably because CB was not installed on the main memory and because of SE_VGA).

PJE
11-05-2004, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the update. I was thinking it was something to do with not handling the change in screen size or shape.
When I get back to my PC I'll try the latest versions.
PocketBreeze & ContactBreeze are definate must haves on my X50v but so is SE_VGA.

gtmtnbiker98
11-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Does the alarms work on their own, or do you still use Wake Up Tweak?

Empyrean
11-05-2004, 01:23 PM
I glanced over this thread and just wanted to mention that I have the SE_VGA and Pocket Breeze constant soft reset problem. The way to get by it is to press one of the hard buttons to circumvent the today screen. You can then remove PocketBreeze and the problem is fixed.

I removed SE_VGA and then re-installed PocketBreeze and everything works just fine now.

PJE
11-05-2004, 01:55 PM
I glanced over this thread and just wanted to mention that I have the SE_VGA and Pocket Breeze constant soft reset problem. The way to get by it is to press one of the hard buttons to circumvent the today screen. You can then remove PocketBreeze and the problem is fixed.

I removed SE_VGA and then re-installed PocketBreeze and everything works just fine now.

I did the same to get past the reseting, but have yet to get PocketBreeze to work with SE_VGA. from your post it doesn't state if you are using both together.

Web surfing with SE_VGA is excellent, and I have come to rely on Pocket/ContactBreeze on my Today Screen.

CESkins
11-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Does the alarms work on their own, or do you still use Wake Up Tweak?
Just set up a quick alarm note to test the alarm feature...My x50v turned on and alarmed as scheduled. Looks like they work w/o need for a wake up tweak.

Kati Compton
11-05-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm sure that if the problem is on the PocketBreeze side, that Amit will do everything he can to have it fixed very quickly. He's very responsive.

amitregev
11-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks Kati :D promise to do my best.

@ PJE+Empyrean: I've been doing some tests and I *think* (and really hope...) that I have some clue what is causing the problem with PocketBreeze and SE_VGA (when enabled).

Currently I'm finishing a new version of PocketBreeze for tomorrow (and it is already 1:30 am here...) so I won't be able to work on it more today, but I promise that right after I finish with tomorrow's new release (Agenda Fusion users get ready for some new API calls... 8) ) this issue will become on top of my list and I will work to solve it.

Of course I will highly appreciate if you two could help me test my fix and tell me if it works before I will post it in public :)

and now... back to work...

PJE
11-06-2004, 03:25 AM
Hi Amit,
By setting the dll as read only I managed to get PocketBreeze working with SE_VGA. Unfortunately ContactBreeze is still not workirg. I look forward to testing the new version.

Alucard89
11-06-2004, 05:14 AM
I got my X50v...I am glad...but one stuff bothers me...I go 2 dropped pixels in screen...It's kinda spoiling the whole view...how do you think, should I complain to Dell about it?

Darius Wey
11-06-2004, 05:21 AM
I got my X50v...I am glad...but one stuff bothers me...I go 2 dropped pixels in screen...It's kinda spoiling the whole view...how do you think, should I complain to Dell about it?

Dropped pixels? Do you mean dead pixels? Is it present all the time or is it only program-specific?

amitregev
11-06-2004, 12:14 PM
As much as I know, when I got my last Sony Vaio laptop, Sony guarantee they won't have more then three dead pixels on the screen (this is on a 1400*1050, 14.1" display) and I think that I have only one :D

You might want to check if Dell gives any kind of guarantee on the device's screen, I think it is something common.

juni
11-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Dead pixels?

Ok, time to look at the Loox again...

Darius Wey
11-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Here's (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=12633&associateid=204) a good piece of software to test for dead pixels.

PJE
11-06-2004, 03:43 PM
As far as l can see l have no bad pixels.
l would ask Dell for a replacement if l were you.

On a different matler l find the new thin stylus to be much nicer than the old lollypop stick that came with my X5.

amitregev
11-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi PJE and others who had problems with PB and SE_VGA :)

I'm terribly sorry for the delay, had to finish all the things for the first version release of PocketWeather but I just finished implementing the fix that I think (and really really hope :roll: ) will solve the problems you had with PB and SE_VGA (or other VGA hack software).

(please don't install ContactBreeze in the meanwhile because this fix will only effect PocketBreeze for now, if it will work I will do the same for ContactBreeze rigth after).

You can download the new test version from the following URL:

http://www.sbsh.net/products/pocketbreeze/PocketBreeze2003_4117.zip

Because I can't test it my self I will need yours (and others who had the same problem) help in testing it. This version is titled as version 4.1.17, although it only include this fix over version 4.1.16, I titled it as 4.1.17 just so you will be sure you are using the special fix version.

I will be waiting to hear from you (and of course I would appreciate if others that had the same problem could also help and try this version) if this version solved the problem, and if this fix will solve the problem I will have this fix implemented in all future versions of PB from next version.
If it won't help... I will do some more investigating and will get back later :?

Many many thanks for all the help! :D (beer is on me :lol: ) and I'm terribly sorry for all the trouble.

Janak Parekh
11-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Dead pixels?

Ok, time to look at the Loox again...
Can happen on any LCD screen. My e805 has exactly one dead pixel. 99.9% of the time it is totally unnoticeable. A 480x640 pixel is small, even on a 4" display. The concern is if Dell ultimately has a disproportionate number of dead pixels, and it's too early to say.

--janak

PJE
11-08-2004, 03:01 AM
Hi Amit,
Just checked out the new version of PocketBreeze.
Everything seems fine. l installed it in SE_VGA mode by accident but it seems to work fine none the less.
l swiiched back to standard mode and everything adjusted correctly.

amitregev
11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Great news PJE :)

I also had two users with the same problem on AximSite who reported the same result with the new version so I think we got it :D

I will have this fix implemented in all future versions of PocketBreeze from the next version.

Many thanks for the help :treadmill: (this one just looked funny and I never saw it :lol: )

Jonathon Watkins
11-25-2004, 12:15 AM

Wish I'd seen this thread before installing SE_VGA and Pocket Breeze on my new X50v. :?

I tried the steps mentioned here, but it would not come out of the reboot cycle. After a while it stopped booting a (i.e. was stuck continually at the blue 'Dell' screen) and eventually I had to hard reset to recover. :|

amitregev
11-25-2004, 02:19 AM
I'm really sorry for the trouble :( this is a pretty old post and the new version (from our site) is working ok with SE_VGA :)

Jonathon Watkins
11-25-2004, 09:50 AM
I'm really sorry for the trouble :( this is a pretty old post and the new version (from our site) is working ok with SE_VGA :)

I followed the instructions from the Pocket Informant newsletter and downloaded the Pocket Breeze version specified, 4.1 from Handango.

Does version 4.1.16 of PB at your site fix these problems? I can't see anything about this fix in the version history (http://www.sbsh.net/products/pocketbreeze/index.php?page=vhistory).

amitregev
11-25-2004, 10:47 AM
No.

We had a fix version 4.1.17 that can be downloaded from this temporary URL:

http://www.sbsh.net/products/pocketbreeze/PocketBreeze2003_4117.zip

We never got to release it because we then started to work on the next version release 4.2 so this was still not officially released :) but the version in this URL fixes it.

Jonathon Watkins
11-25-2004, 03:08 PM
We never got to release it because we then started to work on the next version release 4.2 so this was still not officially released :) but the version in this URL fixes it.

OK. When it works it's way into an official release I'll give it another spin. :)

PJE
11-25-2004, 07:58 PM
OK. When it works it's way into an official release I'll give it another spin. :)
Don't wait - I've been using this pre-release version for a while and it works very well with no issues. ContactBreeze on the other hand is not shown in SE_VGA mode but reappears in standard mode.

amitregev
11-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Actually we released yesterday a new ContactBreeze version (1.0.13 - already uploaded to Handango) that should solve the issues with SE_VGA too :D but we still didn't had anyone to test it... :)

Jonathon Watkins
11-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Actually we released yesterday a new ContactBreeze version (1.0.13 - already uploaded to Handango) that should solve the issues with SE_VGA too :D but we still didn't had anyone to test it... :)

You offering? :wink:

amitregev
11-26-2004, 12:32 PM
This will be great :)

We already released it and no one complained anymore so I'm guessing it is ok - but no one also gave any confirmation. In general, we applied the same fix as we did with PocketBreeze. The only other issue we have with ContactBreeze is that it needs to be installed on the main memory in order to work ok on VGA devices (we are checking this these days...) but PocketBreeze can be installed on a storage card/file store with no trouble.

We also added some new dialing capabilities with a new dialer thumbs-bar when searching for contacts in full mode and some other nice stuff :D

PJE
11-26-2004, 04:10 PM
We already released it and no one complained anymore so I'm guessing it is ok - but no one also gave any confirmation.

I'd already downloaded the latest versions of ContactBreeze and PocketBreeze but had not tried SE_VGA mode.

Everything now seems to work, with a couple of issues:
1. ln SE_VGA mode the text is too small - Any way to have normal and VGA text size options. (Edit: or do like PocketBreeze and automatically scale the font - although by not as big an amount).
2. The thumboard and ABC bar only fills a small portion of the screen - and unused screen areas are not refreshed.
3. The scroll bar is very small. Any chance of allowing drags on the contact list to scroll... or at least drags on the scroll bar.

Keep up the good work.

amitregev
11-26-2004, 07:01 PM
This is caused because PB (+CB) thinks this is a QVGA device (due to SE_VGA). We will add an option to scale things large as on a VGA device when using SE_VGA or other software like it :)